Leather working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been attempting my hand at leather working the last 2 days. I have been able to make a bit of a mag pouch that I want to use as a template for something better. However how does one make the leather stiff? I was able to form it, get it into the general shape I want to go with but I cannot figure out how I stiffen it to hold form once the mag is pulled. Thanks

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thought I would upload a pic of my attempt as well. Before anyone gets to critical this is my second try.

mag pouch 2nd attempt.jpg

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A lots gonna depend on type of leather and how it was tanned. Some "oil" tanned won't ever be stiff enough. Wet forming and a dryer generally works.

If the leather is collapsing after wet forming, my guess is your using the wrong kind of tanned leather.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you using veg tanned leather? what weight? shouls use 7-8 oz. your moulding looked good. tandy leather has a good book , making leather cases by al stohlman. if you dry with a little heat 120 degrees or less leather should be very firm. my wifes oven has a warm setting that is just right, til i get caught. you can order hermann oak leather in small footage at springfield leather its a lot better than some of the imports.

Latest posts

Top Bottom