Legalities of cerakoting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to talking with a buddy and it came up. Say you started cerakoting for yourself and the. Started taking on a project every now and then for side money. Do you need a ffl of any sorts?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not take legal advice over the Internet. I was pretty sure if you stayed in possession of it for more than 24 hours it needed to go thru an FFL to be transferred back.

Pawn shops don't even do work to them and people drop them off and pick them up and they have to fill out a 4473 to get their gun back.

Pleae don't take my word or anybody else's as truth.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The ATF has a posted opinion on the matter of doing things like cerakote, and I am wrong:

is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
[27 CFR 478.11]
so, are you doing it as a business or just cerakoting your buddies gun? Thats the definition.

however they also say

Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?
No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
[27 CFR 478.124(a)]

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not take legal advice over the Internet. I was pretty sure if you stayed in possession of it for more than 24 hours it needed to go thru an FFL to be transferred back.

Pawn shops don't even do work to them and people drop them off and pick them up and they have to fill out a 4473 to get their gun back.

Pleae don't take my word or anybody else's as truth.

Pawn shops do it to make sure its not stolen, and to track its path through owners....

Latest posts

Top Bottom