LEO firearm sales???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my buddy is military, and I'm not. What are the legalities if he has a handgun that is "LEO" and I want to purchase it from him? Can I do that?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The idea of the original program was to provide LEO's with discounted price firearms because not all agencies will provide officers with issue weapons.

They were purchased on a dept letterhead signed by the Chief. Supposedly an officer can purchase a discounted firearm with personal funds for duty use. That firearm is not supposed to be sold/traded for at least one year after that purchase.

It wasn't long before the program started being abused when officers began buying several at a time and sold them at a price slightly under full price.

I don't know when FD, EMT's and Military became part of the program. From what I understand now, all you have to do is provide ID. I don't know if there are any further restrictions.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a manufacturer discount program...no restrictions on transfer as long as it's a regular ol' pistola.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's a "law", but rather a provision within the agreement between the manufacturer, the department and the officer.

Thats the way I understood it. If I remember it correctly, because there was a letterhead requirement, there were no taxes charged either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom