Police scanners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we went to the movies tonight (a rare occasion). I took the younger two to a different movie which just got out. We walked outside to go wait in the car and there are three city police SUV’s parked blocking in a truck and a guy is outside on the phone. No cops outside so clearly they’ve talked to him. All this backstory to say that I am wildly curious what is the deal. So, are police scanners legal? Can I buy one? What should I get? Quick Google search found this. I know there are very many current and former LEO here so who knows if anyone knows (clearly joking).

IMG_7697.png

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don’t not believe they are to be honest. My friends dad always had one on. I am not law enforcement so put no real weight on my comment.
Missing you on the bs thread you started earlier today.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My interpretation of that law is that it is illegal to use one in the commission of a crime or illegal activity. Kinda like guns or body armor. You’re perfectly legal to own them and all that, but once you start using them to/when committing crimes you end up in deep doo-doo with extra charges tacked on at a minimum.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After awhile I get tired of listening to them but cool to have when something big is going on.
And that’s really why I want it. Sometimes I hear about 20 sirened vehicles driving by on the main highway and I want to know if I need to pull out 1 AR or 17. JK, I lost those in a boating accident

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're perfectly legal. I have two...that I don't use. One is older and probably not of much use in a metro area due to the types of signals used these days. The other would probably work but I'm not smart enough to program it. There are places that will program them for you to pick up all the police/fire type traffic in your area. But with all the online services now I never wanted to spend the money to have mine programmed since I live in a very rural area and I doubt I'd get much traffic on it anyway.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're perfectly legal. I have two...that I don't use. One is older and probably not of much use in a metro area due to the types of signals used these days. The other would probably work but I'm not smart enough to program it. There are places that will program them for you to pick up all the police/fire type traffic in your area. But with all the online services now I never wanted to spend the money to have mine programmed since I live in a very rural area and I doubt I'd get much traffic on it anyway.
Ok good to know! I was actually hoping you’d chime in on this so thank you. Now if someone has a specific recommendation that doesn’t cost a ton I’m all ears. Thanks fellas

Latest posts

Top Bottom