Let’s get me back up to speed with iron sights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve stepped away from iron sights for quite some time. In the mean time I’ve picked up some facial trauma resulting in an astigmatism in my dominant eye, making me left eye dominant but right handed. I’ve decided to give it a good ol college try, I love the simplicity and reliability of iron sights.

Ive come across some issues:

One: eye focus/retraining my previously dominant eye. Is this possible? Any tips on making this happen?

two: shooting my new to me CZ452, I’m having issues with picking out the front sight post. It’s already been painted. I figure I could try and repaint it again, maybe try out some new colors. Suggestions on paint/making the front sight easier to pick out? These were my 25yd groups today. I was reading that the adjustable sights for the lux/military trainer (the latter being my model) are calibrated for something of the 1250fps/40gr 22lr flavor. I could not get my point of impact low enough with that kinda ammo, but I could get things where they were supposed to impact with some standard velocity ammo. Any way to get my rear sight low enough to zero my rifle for high velocity stuff, like my preferred mini mags? What kind of 25/50 yard groups should I be expecting with iron sights?
FD25238C-3D07-4ED6-B1BF-1AF0DF1325C0.jpeg

three: I put some XS ghost ring sights on my Remlin 1894 in 357mag. So far I’ve managed to get 4ish inch groups at 50 yards using some plain ol 158gr jsp federal ammo. Previous owner told me he was getting 1.5-2moa with 158gr hand loads. With my current sight setup and ammo can I improve things? I would like to keep things around 2-4 MOA, I feel like that should be plenty accurate for a 100yds and closer brush/truck gun. Any secret squirrel tips for shooting with ghost rings sights? When I’m aiming I’m doing ok with picking up the front sight, but the rear ring completely disappears. Is this the function of the ghost ring? Just look through it and everything lines up? What kind of expectations of accuracy should I have with a ghost ring sight?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, to get it to shoot lower you will probably need a taller front sight if your rear sight is bottomed out.
Secondly, with aperture sights, aka peep sights, ghost ring sights....etc. the rear sight will be a bit blurry, or in the case of Ghost ring "disappear" when looking through it.
Ghost ring sights are an aperture sight with a big hole in the back, the smaller the aperture the better your accuracy, up to a point. The smaller the rear hole or aperture gets the darker the view of the target becomes.
Accuracy with Aperture sights can be very good, I can usually get 1 inch groups at 100 yds. with my "iron sight" AR and my accurized M-14. Here is a picture of my AR setup.
KIMG0525.JPG

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First issue: Find a trained developmental optometrist. They can help retrain your eyes. Warning, insurance hates to pay for it and most of their clients will be well under 18. Dr Megan Ford is very good but she is in Tulsa.

Second issue: in my opinion, try a peep sight with a large disc and smaller holes. Lyman used to make a nice selection. I saw a very good collection of sights and apertures at the last Wannamachers at one table. Maybe they are on line? The larger disc will blot out extraneous things, the smaller hole will help focus on front sight and line up to target. With my old 44Mag Marlin lever I was shooting 2 moa at 75 yards and I am a lousy shooter. Like a scope sightin close and long.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it turns out I can adjust my front sight on the CZ, so we’ll be good. Sadly, when removing the front sight hood I managed to tear my finger open on the front sight. Definitely not fun, and 4 days later if still hurts pretty good. I thought that stitches were necessary, (a first) but it seems to be closing up ok. My finger looked like it exploded when it happened took a while to get the bleeding to stop.

BE85C27E-B6A4-4A9B-A175-0FB04ADC672C.jpeg1096908D-F3A6-48DF-B271-61BBE7448893.jpeg

I think I’m going to continue practicing with the ghost ring and see what I can accomplish before getting a new aperture, once my finger heals up I’m repainting that front sight.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the sight blade cut you when the hood came off? Looks like it hurt like heck!
Yeap, the hood was on there pretty good. Wrapped my hand around the barrel/hood to get a good grip, when it finally came free, the post went through my finger. That pointy curved part really dug in and did some damage. I wasn’t too happy about it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the spirit of experiencing firsts, I also found this:
E0777D25-3BBC-4132-B062-D16A7312DC51.jpeg

One of my new CZ 22lr mags wouldn’t feed/move freely. Took it apart, turns out there were two followers inside, rather than one. Never had that happen before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom