Let's see all the Target/Sniper bolt-actions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJilm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently I'm not offering any services on a retail level. Just a buddy and myself hacking at metal with blunt objects. I've been a hobbyist machinist for a number of years building live steam and scale model projects. My buddy Joe has done a number of builds and I'm learning the gunsmith thing from him. We have been talking about offering some builds for sale but it would be limited to tactical bolt guns at this time.

We have plans to take out the Badger Thanksgiving day to put the first rounds down range. At that point we'll decide if we are good enough to sell a few of these things! :50cal: I have a goal of 1/4 MOA, we'll see.

BigJilm!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Page 2, tsk, tsk. I need some help. I think I'm ready to jump into the long range bolt gun scene, but I don't know what to do. I've been interested in it for a while now and for the past few years I've really wanted a Surgeon. I know I can probably do a Remington 700 for less $$$, but I have a bad habit of wanting the best equipment, and from my reading over the past Surgeon seems to be pretty dang close to the best. I'd like to build this rifle over the next year or so and I'm in no hurry what so ever to start shooting. I already have pretty good basics down and have shot rifles since I was a young'un. I've got some cash coming in is a couple weeks and I was thinking of picking up the action and starting from there. Am I crazy for wanting a Surgeon? Any of you guys want to help me out with some free advice I'd love to meet up or talk at you on the phone. If you don't mind helping a nooblet out shoot me a PM. Thanks!!!!

BigJilm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin, head over to snipershide.com and read all you can. Great website with TONS of great info. I was down to either the Surgeon or the Badger and ended up going with the Badger because I liked the looks a little better. (basically an AI "homage") I would recommend the Badger if go with the AICS stock, it negates the need for bedding and is ROCK SOLID when bolted in. It takes some modifications of the AICS stock but it is a nice system. The Surgeon is a drop in replacement in Remy stocks so that saves a lot of trouble. Snipers hide is also a great place to pick up ready to ship rifles, George at GAP just posted some for sale READY TO SHIP!

Prepare your wallet!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=879233&nt=2&page=1

BigJilm!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm not crazy for wanting to start off with really nice equipment? I'm going to end up with a nice rifle anyway if I get into it so I figured the buy once cry once thing would work great here. Plus, if I decided down the road to get a new hobby I figure a Surgeon will hold its value better than an equivalent Remmy 700.

What barrel would you guys recommend? Do I want stainless or CM? Do I want a pre cut and threaded barrel or a blank so that the smith I choose can cut the barrel? This is really cool stuff. I've been reading on Sniper's Hide for a while now and there is just an overwhelming amount of info on there.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh crap! I talked to Steven today at Mechanical Accuracy. I nailed down a bunch of things for my project. I need to still pick the color of the stock and the color of the coating that I want. By Joe, I think I know everything I want except for the glass and the colors.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Surgeon is a drop in replacement in Remy stocks so that saves a lot of trouble.

That is incorrect. They have their own inlet.

Surgeon makes the best rifles on the planet. Period. Anytime you want to go see the shop Dustin let me know and I'll take you out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom