Let's see the dove pic's....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
Son and I had a good shoot the evening of september 1. Killed 10 and son got 7 in about 2 hours. Birds were bunched up and came in bunches of up to thirty or more. No singles. Told son that we needed to enjoy this as I felt the birds were bunching up to leave. Went out again on the 2nd, same spot. We saw maybe 15 birds all singles. Birds that were here are on their way south. We are watching and hoping to find some migrating birds this weekend. Oh well, we'll set up the archery buck now and prcatice for October 1

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Good shooting.
We had a different kind of dove hunt that those of us in Ok are not used to. My buddy moved here from Georgia a couple of years ago. Job thing. He is still into the Plantation type of hunt, so he puts in dove plots every year, and we have a "shoot". Starts at 3pm and every half hour or so, his wife (and mine) bring around mugs of Iced tea or water, pick up the birds that have been shot, and leave us a snack until legal shooting time is over then we have a big feed with all kinds of food, dove being the "theme" of the night.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't take the camera, but we had a good hunt. I dropped off the buddies and drove back across the creek to park. When I got out it sounded like the 4th of July. I shot 16 dove. 13 regular and 3 of the collared dove. The group of us ended up with 63 dove.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice shooting wiley and beautiful chocolate lab. I took my black lab out on a morning hunt, but its pretty hot in the evening and I don't feel like lugging 2 or 3 gallons of water in for him along with a box of shells and a stool.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys have it down to a science on the dove hunting. I sure like the plantation hunting idea. Getting served while on the stand is incredible. Man I wish I could do with only one box of shells. Took me 33 shots to get fifteen birds. I started out 3 for 3 and then it all went south from there. The lab is my buddy's. She's the best I've ever hunted with. She does it all. Dove, ducks, quail, and pheasant. I've seen her point quail many times. It's just not as pretty a point as our german short hairs do. Last year in South Dakota she retrieved 70+ pheasant out of 98 killed. Needless to say she picked up almost all the birds we got last saturday cause we could'nt find em in the soybeans. I envy you guys with the good labs. Keep the pics coming!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys have it down to a science on the dove hunting. I sure like the plantation hunting idea. Getting served while on the stand is incredible. Man I wish I could do with only one box of shells. Took me 33 shots to get fifteen birds. I started out 3 for 3 and then it all went south from there.

I started out with 5 shots for 4 birds, and like you it went south. Started taking the Hail Mary shots which always result in a no hit. Took me almost 50 shots to get the last 11 in the pic.:bah:

Latest posts

Top Bottom