Let's see the dove pic's....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hunted about 1 hour this evening, just awhile ago, just before dark.

I went Oh-Fer-Nine - that's right, my dragonfly hit percentage looked like an Oklahoma State football team record! :evil:

Oh yeah, I went Oh-Fer-One on doves - only saw two (together) and took one shot - missed. The bastages are *already* flying high!

Nice job, CCShooter! :)

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what are some different ways to cook dove? the only way i have had it is bacon wrapped and grilled which is good i was just wondering if there were any other ways that are good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found an even dozen with a couple that I couldn't find in the tall grass. I quit when I counted 15 down. Only got to hunt in the evening. All mourning dove. No white wing or eurasian.:D My buddy got 9. Shot up a little over 1 1/2 boxes of shells. Only had a skeet and imp choke in. I think when friday morning comes around, there will be an improved and modified choke in the tubes. Most of the birds only had one or two pellets in them. I knocked feathers off of some of them and they just kept going.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010024_1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what are some different ways to cook dove? the only way i have had it is bacon wrapped and grilled which is good i was just wondering if there were any other ways that are good.

We are having a dove cookout this coming Sunday evening after the hunt. I'm going to take the ones shot yesterday, fillet the meat off the breast, put it in the meat grinder, mix it with some Premium pork sausage, finely diced onions, smashed garlic cloves, minute rice, black pepper, sea salt, spicy Italian seasonings, and finely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese. Then get some of the large jalepeno peppers from the garden, slice them lengthwise, taking out the seeds, and membranes. Take the mixture, and mound it up on the pepper halves, and put on the cookshack smoker at 225 when leaving for the hunt. They will be ready in about 2 hours when the hunt is over and the other birds are cleaned.

another way is to fillet the meat from the breast, put one or two short stalks of asperagus, along with a slice of fresh jalepeno, and then wrap in bacon. Grill, or bake in oven, or put in smoker.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only got one and knocked down another but couldn't find it in the morning. Last night I went and knocked down 14 but only found 9, I hit one at about 15 feet, kind of an instinct shot since it suprised me, and it blew up :(

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So adjacent to my house is a cow pasture, beyond that is several hundred acres they have prepped for doves and lease out to the same people every year.

I catch 2 dudes walking across my land with shotguns, so I go up and talk to them thinking a bird fell on my land or they want to ask me a question or something.

They ask if this is _____'s land. I reply no, I own this, that is my house right up there. They respond by telling me this guy told them he owned a whole bunch of land back here and they were welcome to hunt, but apparently he was lying because they got back in there and got ran off by the hunters on those fields. So they tried to walk out through the woods and got lost, they were both dripping sweat. Said they just needed to get back to their car and leave, which they did quickly.
Said the guy who gave them "permission" said to park up by the road and walk in a certain way, which they found odd as everybody else was parked in the field. Ya think?

I ask who told them this and it was one of the worthless, criminal, adult children of the people up the road. He doesn't own the bed he sleeps in, much less any damn land.

People amaze me. BTW guys, I own a big hunting propery out west. Just drive till you see the sign that says Yellowstone. Be sure not to let anyone see you hunting, but it's cool, it's my private land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom