Let's talk 30-06 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently doing my research online about this same topic but figured I'd get something going on here as well cause I know there is a ton of knowledge on here to pull from. I have a Savage 30-06 bolt action 4+1 internal capacity, no detachable magazine. I have added a Blackhawk bi-pod so far & that is all. The rifle came with a Bushnell 3x9x40 Sharp shooter scope. I bought 200 rounds of Remington 180 grain Core-Lokt ammo. I have only ran 3 shots through it in my back yard at about 30-35yrds out just to get a feel for the recoil standing, crouched & laying flat using the bipod. I didn't think the recoil was that much of a issue honestly but I also did not rapid fire & try to get back on target quickly either.

I have been reading alot about different rounds & wanted the opinion here on what everyone prefers. Do you like a lighter grain round or heavier & why? Should I just shot these 200 rounds & then go to a different grain round before attempting to set this rifle up for 600yrd shots? I think I'm gonna zero it at 300 & note my adjustments for under/over that range. I figure I'll need to upgrade my scope cause this one isn't always the clearest but it isn't horrible either.

I'm assuming from my reading that the 180 grain will carry more punch at POI over the lighter rounds, am I understanding this correctly? I'm not wanting to get into reloading at this time so off the shelf ammo is what I'm going for & performance. This rifle will be used for hunting & long distance shooting for fun. I'd like to find an ammo I can easily pick up at the store & not run me $50 a box for just 20 rounds.

So for those with insight into this subject please chime in. I'm very interested to hear what you have encountered or discovered over the years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hornady makes a couple of different 180gr offerings that use their SST bullets, which would be more favorable over the core-lokt bullets as far as BC goes. $25-$30 a box.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do you prefer the 180 grain when shooting 30-06?

That is kinda what I'm getting at here. there are so many choices I'm just trying to get some personal opinions & experiences from members on here. Like for instance do you get a better group at the same distance with a 150 grain vs a 180 grain? And if so what brand of off the shelf ammo.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will just have to try different loads to find what you like.

Generally heavier bullets are better for longer ranges. But, Palma matches are shot with 155 grain bullets from a .308 at ranges out to 1000 yards. Using a good quality bullet would be important. A load with a 168 grain match bullet might be good. You need to find one that your rifle likes. Accuracy would be the most important thing.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go to the range soon hopefully & run a box or 2 through the rifle @ 100, 200 & 300 yards with these 180 grain & see what it'll do. I know USSA has a 300 yard range, but I'm not sure where to go to get a distance above that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed many deer, and 2 elk with a 30-06.
Deer, I use Sierra 165 HPBT. The internal damage to the organs is twice what the Sierra 165 grain SP will do, making for a quicker kill. Took one doe at 460 yards this last season.
Elk, I use the 165 grain Barnes TTSX. Both ended up being high shoulder shots that dropped them immediatly, so I can't say what organ damage those bullets would cause.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thankx for the addition.

I have been doing alot of reading on Sniper Paradise & Sniper's Hide as well. Lot's of good distance shooting advice & knowledge to read between those 2 as well.

I'm also starting to think I should just plan on about a 400 yard shot max for this rifle. I know it might be capable of further but for a factory rifle without swapping the barrel or doing major modifications I think driving tacks at 400 yards would be considered pretty successful. Maybe later down the road if money is available & I'm really determined to get out further than that I'll invest in another rifle, barrel & really good scope. I'll admit I was over estimating at first & the more research I do the more reality is setting in. Which is fine by me, if I can achieve MOA accuracy @ 400 yrds from this cheap sub $400 Savage I'll be tickled pink honestly.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna go to the range soon hopefully & run a box or 2 through the rifle @ 100, 200 & 300 yards with these 180 grain & see what it'll do. I know USSA has a 300 yard range, but I'm not sure where to go to get a distance above that.

Around Tulsa, the only place I know of would be Red Castle Gun Club; you can shoot steel silhouettes out to 500 yards, and put up targets at 600 yards. They also have 1000-yard competitions about four-five times a year.

NoMoreOldNo7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great round, at least one of the most versatile. I have shot both deer and elk with my 30-06, but mainly have it along for a back up rifle now. I hand load so I can really work up a proper load for whatever purpose I need it for but as a general rule I like shooting a bonded 165gr boat tails with polymer tips for deer or smaller game and for elk I like to step up to a 180gr. As for 180gr bullets both the Nosler Accubonds and Barnes TTSX bullets shoot very well in my rifle and for a 165gr bullet I like the 165gr Accubond. As for long range shooting with any match ammo you'll probably find more experience from others, I haven't played much with match ammo but that's not to say I don't do any long range shooting I just like to stick with my hunting bullets. I dropped the last 2 elk I've taken at 297 yards and 350 yards (both with 180gr Accubonds, but with my 300 WinMag) and just this past season I took 3 antelope in Wyoming and the last one was at 450 yards (again not with my 30-06 but with my 7RM). All of these shots, just as most of my hunting, I prefer the Accubond bullets. They shoot well in the 3 rifles I have mentioned, they are very accurate and I have very good performance at dropping game with them.

Biggest thing is practice before taking them long shots. I have heard lots of talk recently about this long range hunting stuff, it's ok in my book as long as whoever is pulling the trigger is confident in taking the shot. In my mind it requires lots of range time and realistically knowing the capabilities of how you can shoot your rifle and how it performs with whatever ammo at whatever range. The limitation of your shooting should be a combination of lots of practice and how well you and your rifle shoot.

Back to the 30-06, I love it. If I were to have only one rifle it would be a 30-06.

Just my 2 cents, but it is based on opinion and experience (what ever that's worth), good luck with your 06 and if you ever want to give reloading a try shoot me a note.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^Nice, that is the kind of things I was curious about. Using just normal off the shelf ammo you would normally hunt with. I impulse bought the 200 rounds of Remington Core-lokt cause several people recommended it & it was in my price range. I don't see myself getting into reloading anytime soon honestly, but I might in the future buy some custom loads from a experienced reloader if that is a option.

I'm mostly wanting to get proficient with basic off the shelf ammo out of this bone stock rifle. My initial 600 yard dream I'm scaling back to 300-400 yards. I highly doubt I ever have to take a shot hunting here in Oklahoma that will go out over 400. Heck most will likely be within 100 in reality but I'd like to know I can touch something at 400 if need be consistently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom