Let's talk tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wheels not included with purchase of tires

Michelin

Michelin

Latitude X-Ice Xi2​

265/70R17 115T SL

4.5(100).
11% off
$247.96
was $279.99
https://simpletire.com/. These people are always sending me advertisements and they seem to have good pricing. They have most brands.

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you switching to Cooper?

My now retired tire guy warned me in August that Cooper tires were going up in price after Cooper was purchased by Goodyear. Recent price checks put them about $50/tire higher than this summer but still about the same price difference compared to Michelin.

Google says Goodyear and Cooper are only American tire companies left and now they're one.

Buying American does appeal to me. While Michelin is French, aren't they made in Oklahoma?
Did not know Cooper and Goodyear are now one. Too Bad. Always had good luck with Cooper but not so much with Goodyear

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always bought Cooper or Michelin. Tires that came with new truck are Hankook, don't know enuff yet to say... I know I will never buy Firestone again,had nuthin' but blowouts.

Last edited:

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had big zero tires and coopers,didnt like either weak sidewalls swerved all over the road, constant knots on tires they replaced them but it got really annoying getting tires replaced, went to michelins then hankooks due to price, the last set of hankooks came apart on me so i am back to michelin, all season tires on 4x4 i dont care for the more aggressive mud tires because they have a tendency to bury my truck too quick, smoother tread floats on top and can get me more places

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 (8 ply ) on both of my trucks and love them. Both are 3/4 ton and 1 is also 4x4. I'll be putting a set on my 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban as soon as I get the $ saved up for them.

Also:

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company is an American company that specializes in the design, manufacture, marketing and sales of replacement[2] automobile and truck tires, and has subsidiaries that specialize in medium truck, motorcycle and racing tires. With headquarters in Findlay, Ohio, Cooper Tire has 60 manufacturing, sales, distribution, technical and design facilities within its worldwide family of subsidiary companies, including the UK-based Avon Tyres brand, which produces tires for motorcycles, road cars and for motor racing.

From 1960, the company was a publicly held corporation and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange until it was acquired by Goodyear in June 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Tire_&_Rubber_Company

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used 10 ply BF Goodrich Rugged Trails rated 80K for years and got a record 106K miles on the last set and could have slapped them on a hay wagon for another 10k, Friggin bulletproof. Of course they quit making that tread pattern. Some idiot probably wrote them and told them how long they lasted. Oh heck no can have that and changed the tread pattern and name to Rugged Terrain . Two blew out and the other 2 are going to be lucky to hit 50k. Done with them. I still like the KOs mudgrips but they are pretty noisy just for everyday highway use.

Cooper Discoverers are not bad . My luck with Goodyear has been less than desired. I don't mess to much with the Chinese stuff with 9 pounds of lead to balance them. That is another hint on if you have a well made tire. How much lead does it take to balance one? A good one will take hardly any and if you lose a weight it won't rattle you out of the truck.

I put 10 ply Firestone AT2s on this trip and really like them. The tread looks more like a highway tire than an AT but they have a super feel and are nice and quiet for an AT. Overall i like them. Its still to early to discern how they will last but I have always found Firestone to wear just about exactly what they are rated and dang little extra if at all. Stinkin corporate modelers. HA.

Last edited:

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After years of value tires on my truck I put a set of Michelin LXT’s on my wife’s Tahoe. Man I don’t think I could ever go back. They ride so nice and are so quiet and have been wearing quite well. I finally see why they cost more

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2016 4x4 F150 and just put Michelins on them (Defender LTX M/S to be specific). I have never had any issues with Michelins and have always used them on my trucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom