Let's talk Zippos...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This time of year, I do a lot of weekend bonfires. My grandson loves em. I was gonna do one this past weekend, but we got rained out.

I usual buy those cheap lighters with the long thing and trigger, ya know? But I'm sick of buying those by the dozen and just tossing em when they're empty.

So, I thought I would add a Zippo to my EDC. I don't smoke, but the ability to make fire is never a bad idea, right? It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Plus, I just think they're cool.

Because of my late father (RIP dad) I know that I want a butane insert. He was a lifelong smoker and he told me about how he tried to carry a Zippo as a young man, but the fluid all leaked out and made a nasty burn on his leg, so he switched to a cheap Bic.

So, what is a good constant soft flame butane insert? I don't want the torch type and I don't want the type that I hafta hold the button down to keep it going.

:thanku:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This time of year, I do a lot of weekend bonfires. My grandson loves em. I was gonna do one this past weekend, but we got rained out.

I usual buy those cheap lighters with the long thing and trigger, ya know? But I'm sick of buying those by the dozen and just tossing em when they're empty.

So, I thought I would add a Zippo to my EDC. I don't smoke, but the ability to make fire is never a bad idea, right? It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Plus, I just think they're cool.

Because of my late father (RIP dad) I know that I want a butane insert. He was a lifelong smoker and he told me about how he tried to carry a Zippo as a young man, but the fluid all leaked out and made a nasty burn on his leg, so he switched to a cheap Bic.

So, what is a good constant soft flame butane insert? I don't want the torch type and I don't want the type that I hafta hold the button down to keep it going.

Looks like the yellow flame insert would give you the normal flame that you are wanting. However it doesn't look like they have an option to not have to hold the button down.

Oh, and d&mn you GED, you are costing me money. I don't smoke, but I have a couple of Zippos just because I like them. Now I'm gonna have to convert them to butane because I've never liked their liquid fuel.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the yellow flame insert would give you the normal flame that you are wanting. However it doesn't look like they have an option to not have to hold the button down.

Oh, and d&mn you GED, you are costing me money. I don't smoke, but I have a couple of Zippos just because I like them. Now I'm gonna have to convert them to butane because I've never liked their liquid fuel.

Heh, heh, heh sorry 'bout that. :rollingla

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not sure which long lighter you are using but most are reusable. Should be refillable and a valve is usually on the end.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure which long lighter you are using but most are reusable. Should be refillable and a valve is usually on the end.

I'm just talking about these cheapos...

Expert-Grill-Refillable-Grill-Lighter-1-Pack_21409772-e733-4623-8889-eaaaae165da9.39507ae786fa...png

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When im burning brush piles i usually use the propane torch with a self igniter, you get a bigger flame and seems to start the fire quicker, but i understand the need for a lighter for the occassional fire that you might want to start without big planning, i carry a zippo daily and have learned not to fill it all the way up and wont leak on you leg.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like zippos, but there is the issue of them leaking and they will eventually dry out through evaporation if you forget about them long enough. Take a look at the perpetual match. It is much smaller. You can carry it on your keychain. You usually buy them in five packs. Keep one in your pocket, cars, packs you take to the woods, and anywhere else you can think you might need to start a fire. They have an o-ring seal so they retain their fuel. Even in the event they do run out of fuel, you can still use them as a spark tinder igniter. Amazon sells them 5 for $20.

Latest posts

Top Bottom