Let's talk Zippos...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Zippo has been in my right front pocket for 30 years and hasn’t leaked on me once. Now I do overfill it a little every once in a while and I just press against the felt and let it drip a bit. Also keep a spare flint under there, in between the felt and cotton that is so I’ll always have a spark.
1698688762045.jpeg

mahatma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't over fill the zippo and it won't leak.
I still have my zippo with the USN anchor and chain emblem attached that I have had since I went in the Navy in 1968. I carried it for many, many years until I quit smoking and it is still sitting in my top drawer with all my other USN stuff. I always overfilled it and kept a raw irritation on my left upper thigh where it leaked out from my left front pocket.

Don't smoke any more and never use it but I'll always keep it.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy any zippo that strikes your fancy, then add the Zippo butane insert and a can of butane. Life is good.
If you're concerned about losing the Zippo, the cheap butane lighters on Amazon are decent for $3-4 bucks.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wear blue jeans with the coin pocket put the lighter in there right side up and it helps with the leaking and also seems to make the fluid last longer.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys putting butane inserts in Zippos. It’s like ripping the engine out of a ‘57 Nomad and putting in an electric motor and a bunch of batteries in the back or converting a classic Fatboy to electric. Just ain’t right.

I agree about it not being right. IMHO the smell of a Zippo, with traditional lighter fluid, is in my top 10 list of favorite smells. I think ALL cigs and stogies should be lit with one. It's as wrong as putting a S&W revolver or 1911 in a kydex holster. They should both wear fine leather, but that's not what's "practical" nowadays.

I plan on carrying this Zippo in a pouch, in me pocket, with a few other small EDC items, so to keep everything else from getting covered in leaked lighter fluid, that's how it has to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom