Let's talk Zippos...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always loved zippos, never carried one though. Had them leak a few times, seems like they always ran out of fluid or spark when you needed them. Always just carried a bic.

But, this is my favorite zippo. Bought it from some dude in Afghanistan for a few bucks he was trying to sell me some opium with it. I passed on the opium
IMG_3334.jpeg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When im burning brush piles i usually use the propane torch with a self igniter, you get a bigger flame and seems to start the fire quicker, but i understand the need for a lighter for the occassional fire that you might want to start without big planning, i carry a zippo daily and have learned not to fill it all the way up and wont leak on you leg.
Same with me. If it startes to burn my leg, I simply light it and let it burn 20 seconds or less and it ususlly corrects the overfill issue.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys putting butane inserts in Zippos. It’s like ripping the engine out of a ‘57 Nomad and putting in an electric motor and a bunch of batteries in the back or converting a classic Fatboy to electric. Just ain’t right.
No. It's like going from a saddle to a drivers seat. From AOL dial up to Gb fiber... 😉

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I smoked, I always carried a Zippo. When I would fill it up I always laid it out horizontally over night that cured the leaking in my pocket. Camel had the c-note program back then so I got a bunch until they killed Joe Camel off. It was time to quit then anyway. But I got a decent collection and some given to me as a gift and ones I bought. These are all mint and unfired.

zippos-8-26-22-copy.jpg

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never owned a Zippo. I do smoke an occasional cigar, but the torch is better at lighting and burning off the fluids than a Zippo. But, perhaps I’ll remedy the no Zippo thing. It’s just an adult fidget spinner for the ADD/ADHD.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO the smell of a Zippo, with traditional lighter fluid, is in my top 10 list of favorite smells. I think ALL cigs and stogies should be lit with one.
A cheap stogie, maybe, but cigar aficionados will tell you that a fine cigar should be lit with butane or a wooden match because the Zippo fluid will foul the taste of the cigar.

Personally, I carry a lighter because fire is a handy thing to have when you need it. A friend who's now retired from the OHP told us about a buddy of his (a fellow Trooper, IIRC) who was after some bad dudes. He ended up getting hurt (both legs broken, IIRC), which would've been survivable on its own, but it left him stranded out in the wilderness, and he died from exposure. My friend, who has never, AFAIK, smoked, said he always carries a lighter because if his buddy had been able to start a fire, he would most likely have survived. I've carried one since he told us that.

A butane-fueled Zippo might not be as cool as a traditional Zippo, but the butane is a heck of a lot more convenient and less likely to be dried out when you need it.

Besides, you can't do the fire hand trick with Zippo fuel...

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A cheap stogie, maybe, but cigar aficionados will tell you that a fine cigar should be lit with butane or a wooden match because the Zippo fluid will foul the taste of the cigar.

Personally, I carry a lighter because fire is a handy thing to have when you need it. A friend who's now retired from the OHP told us about a buddy of his (a fellow Trooper, IIRC) who was after some bad dudes. He ended up getting hurt (both legs broken, IIRC), which would've been survivable on its own, but it left him stranded out in the wilderness, and he died from exposure. My friend, who has never, AFAIK, smoked, said he always carries a lighter because if his buddy had been able to start a fire, he would most likely have survived. I've carried one since he told us that.

A butane-fueled Zippo might not be as cool as a traditional Zippo, but the butane is a heck of a lot more convenient and less likely to be dried out when you need it.

Besides, you can't do the fire hand trick with Zippo fuel...

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm wanting one. I carry a mini Bic with me every day, I just thought a Zippo would be cool to own.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This time of year, I do a lot of weekend bonfires. My grandson loves em. I was gonna do one this past weekend, but we got rained out.

I usual buy those cheap lighters with the long thing and trigger, ya know? But I'm sick of buying those by the dozen and just tossing em when they're empty.

So, I thought I would add a Zippo to my EDC. I don't smoke, but the ability to make fire is never a bad idea, right? It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Plus, I just think they're cool.

Because of my late father (RIP dad) I know that I want a butane insert. He was a lifelong smoker and he told me about how he tried to carry a Zippo as a young man, but the fluid all leaked out and made a nasty burn on his leg, so he switched to a cheap Bic.

So, what is a good constant soft flame butane insert? I don't want the torch type and I don't want the type that I hafta hold the button down to keep it going.

:thanku:
This is the baddest bad boy of all time. You can light a forest fire, sear a steak and burn weeds.
Women will swoon when you bring this to the game. Manly men will know you’re one of them in good standing.
I present:

https://a.co/d/1eSePOj

Latest posts

Top Bottom