Light 38 Special load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to teach my wife to shoot my S&W 642. If I load it with my usual Gold Dot's I know that she will shoot it once, give me THAT look and be ready to go home. So, I want to load some VERY light loads to get her started. Then, I'll increase the load until she says that's enough. I currently have some HP-38, Universal Clays, Clays, Unique, and Bullseye on hand. I have some 158 gr lswc bullets and some 125 gr hard cast lead bullets on hand. Can anyone give me an idea of a starting point for a weak, but semi-accurate load?

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used 2.9gr Clays behind 158gr LSWC for a very mild load this weekend. I believe Hodgdon says you can go even a bit lighter.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I used 2.9gr Clays behind 158gr LSWC for a very mild load this weekend. I believe Hodgdon says you can go even a bit lighter.

125 GR. CAST LRNFP Hodgdon Clays .358" 1.445" 2.5 810 8,400 CUP

From the online reloading data.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

The old target standard load for decades has been a 148gr wadcutter over 3.2gr of BullsEye.

both really easy shooting loads. i run 158 swc with 3 gr. clays in my full size guns. since its your j-frame the 2.5 looks like a good one also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom