Likely Moving Back to OK - Q. on Legal Status of Former States' Permits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_Power

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

Looks like I'll be moving back to Tulsa in the next few weeks from Oregon (I have an Oregon resident permit and a Washington nonresident permit).

Obviously, one of my first things on the to-do list is get my paperwork and everything all transferred over to OK, and that includes my CCW.

I'm curious if the laws makes any mention of allowance for folks who move to Oklahoma, have CCW permits from other, recognized states (OK recognizes everybody, right? I know they recognize OR & WA, anyway), but have yet to get all their new paperwork taken care of.

I want to - and will - stay legal at all times, but want to minimize the time frame that I'm unable to legally carry.

Would appreciate any feedback from the legal minds and/or LEO folks on the board.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every state follows its own laws, and permits do not transfer. I happen to know that WA state still issues non-resident permits, but will only renew in person, not by mail (I went to UW) so it is not practical to keep the WA permit in OK. However, as long as WA considers it valid, OK will honor it.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.

C. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

By the way, if you ever had an OK permit, the class should still be on file with OSBI.
Expired Renewals (those whose license expired more than 3 years ago) will follow these instructions,
except for the training requirement. OSBI maintains record of all training / exemption certificates submitted
and no further proof of training is required

Last edited:

TPower

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, if you ever had an OK permit, the class should still be on file with OSBI.

As of 1 Nov 2014 class certificates are good only for three years. older than that he has to retake the ccw class again.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above, licenses don't transfer, but as long as your WA permit remains valid you can carry on that permit until you get your OK permit. If you have had an OK permit in the past, and it expired less than 3 years ago, all you need to do is fill out the paperwork as a renewal. If it has been longer than 3 years, you will have to start from scratch.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As of 1 Nov 2014 class certificates are good only for three years. older than that he has to retake the ccw class again.

That is if you have NOT filed it with OSBI. If you HAVE filed it with OSBI, read the following notice:

Expired Renewals (those whose license expired more than 3 years ago) will follow these instructions,
except for the training requirement. OSBI maintains record of all training / exemption certificates submitted
and no further proof of training is required.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Lice...t_time_license_holder_or_expired_renewal.html

Go to the above linked page on the OSBI website and follow their instructions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom