Loc-Tite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The anchor screw on the rear sight of my 986 has an annoying tendency to back out. I have a small screwdriver in the tool box I keep my 986 moon clips, etc., in, so it's just a nuisance. Today, I put more than 300 rounds through it and noticed that the screw was almost completely backed out.I removed the sight completely and cleaned the recess out, then reinstalled the sight.

My question is about Loc-Tite thread sealant. I want to might the screw so that it doesn't back out through ordinary use, but I also don't want it permanently bonded so I am unable to remove the screw should I want to in the future.

Which Loc-Tite do I need?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, guys; appreciate the help. I have some degreaser so I'll be sure and use that before the sealant.
If the threads are oily, simply cleaning them (I prefer alcohol) might do the trick.

Blue loctite should work fine. The red is a semi-permanent solution, and generally requires heat (and extra elbow grease) to remove. :drunk2:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the threads are oily, simply cleaning them (I prefer alcohol) might do the trick.

Blue loctite should work fine. The red is a semi-permanent solution, and generally requires heat (and extra elbow grease) to remove. : Drunk2:
Thanks; I'll try that.

OT:

It is a very good gun, but one thing I notice about the 986 is that the titanium cylinder gets HOT when I shoot more than a few rounds through it. Much hotter than stainless steel. I can barely open and close the cylinder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom