Pressure Washer Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Simpson pressure washer that is about 12 years old and yesterday it developed an issue. I tried to start the engine (Honda) and the rope about took my arm off with kicking back so hard. I tried to start a couple times and had the same issue.

I thought at first a valve was stuck in the pump unit creating too much back pressure.

After removing the spark plug and pulling the starter rope the engine turned over freely, which told me the pump did not have a stuck valve. So I came to the conclusion the exhaust valve must be out of adjustment.

As a side note: I washed my wife's car a few days ago and the pressure washer ran and operated fine.

So I took off the valve cover and saw that the exhaust valve rocker arm was not even activating the exhaust valve. ( a huge gap between adjustment screw and valve assembly). So I go hmmm this is strange. I remove the pin that holds the rocker arm in place and find that the rocker arm has a stress fracture and is bent out of shape.

Going on YouTube I found several videos addressing this issue. Seems it is a fairly common issue with this particular Honda engine model. (GCV160)

See pictures below.

So if you have a Honda small engine with similar issue, you might first check the exhaust valve rocker arm.

I have new one on order from Amazon and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_073331520.jpg
    IMG_20231003_073331520.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231003_073402081.jpg
    IMG_20231003_073402081.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have one of those. My son gave me his pressure washer when the pump went bad.
I stuck the engine on a lawn mower frame and have been using it often to mow grass.
Sometimes with 2 stroke oil in the fuel.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the exhaust valve move freely sans rocker? Wonder if Honda or aftermarket addressed the issue by beefing up gusset or just something that will need to keep being changed after failure.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the exhaust valve move freely sans rocker? Wonder if Honda or aftermarket addressed the issue by beefing up gusset or just something that will need to keep being changed after failure.
Yes, the exhaust valve moves freely. I have pondered why this seems to be an issue, other than under designed rocker arm or poor quality metal.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: Letfreedomring you were correct in thinking that perhaps the valve was not moving freely. It took me some further looking at the issue before I figured out the reason for the failure. The exhaust valve metal valve guide came out of it's seating in the aluminum head and limited the travel of the valve. Basically, because of how the engine is designed, I think it is non-repairable or not worth repairing.

Swampratt is correct in running 2-stoke gas through the pressure washer engine on occasion or any small engine. This will limit exhaust valve issues according to my research.

I guess I can't complain too much, I have used the heck out of this pressure washer over the past 12 years.

Now I am thinking about what parts I can salvage from the unit.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a spare push mower Not Honda you can have it and use the engine on the pressure washer.
I have no idea if the shaft size or length would be the same though

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Further Update: I took the valve spring off the exhaust valve and then took a socket and with a hammer tapped the metal valve guide back into the cylinder head and then took a punch and staked the valve guide into place in several locations around the guide. I then put the valve spring and retainer back on. Now I am just waiting for the new rocker arm. I will put it all back together and cross my fingers. Perhaps I can get another 12 years or so out of the pressure washer. The worst case scenario is that the valve guide does not stay in place.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more update: I believe in giving credit where credit is due. My neighbor who lives across the street is very good at fixing small engine stuff and big engine stuff. He is very capable individual and will take on any project. He and Swampratt have much in common.

My neighbor grew up working on small engines. His parents owned and operated a small engine repair shop for many years here in Guthrie.

I had my neighbor come over and help me figure out what was going on. After both of us pondering on the issue of the exhaust valve not being able to travel very far, he finally spied the valve guide had wandered out and was stopping the valve from opening. He also gave me the idea of re-seating the valve guide and staking it with a punch. So Kudos to my great neighbor.

My wife and I are fortunate in the fact that we have some great neighbors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom