LOL So I ask the guy behind the counter at Academy.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friggen THANK YOU! I can't tell you how many guys I have yanked off the gun counter for giving false information. It annoys me to no end! I have a few very simple rule for the gun counter. If you absolutely positively KNOW the answer then be as helpful as possible, if you don't be honest and tell the customer so but don't make stuff up. If they still want your help call ME. I will know the answer, attempt to find the answer, or honestly tell the customer that I do not know but I will do my absolute best to find out.

I don't know where you have your store, but that is great advice to those that want to work a gun counter.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know where you have your store, but that is great advice to those that want to work a gun counter.

It's Wally. But bad part is they usually don't listen.

My advice would be don't take advice from the "slightly" over minimum wage associate behind the gun counter. You go to Wally to possibly save money on something you already know about. Go to a gun store for gun advice, well some gun stores. Just go see Hoov.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's Wally. But bad part is they usually don't listen.

My advice would be don't take advice from the "slightly" over minimum wage associate behind the gun counter. You go to Wally to possibly save money on something you already know about. Go to a gun store for gun advice, well some gun stores. Just go see Hoov.

What HE said. I work at wally but for the most part I wouldn't take a Wal-Mart workers advice on guns. They filled out an application and get paid min wage. I do the best I can to see that those in my store learn a lot about what we carry but the truth is I am still constantly learning myself. Hoov, reddog and many others can set you up with the real hard answers, but if your in my neck of the woods I will try to help you out with the guns, or blenders, or bicycles, or beans LOL!

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's BS ... I had enough sense to know what I didn't know and didn't just throw **** out there when I worked at H&H ... they aren't selling draperies, they are selling guns and ammunition. Never mind the "no return" policy they have on ammo. If I hadn't known the difference I'd have bought that .357MAG ammo, trusting the ****ing salesman's word ... and when it didn't work I'd have been stuck with a box of ammo I couldn't use.

Nobody knows everything, but to me, that kind of "help" behind the counter is dangerous ...

Well, I would have swapped you for it, except I'm not driving two hours for ammo.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friggen THANK YOU! I can't tell you how many guys I have yanked off the gun counter for giving false information. It annoys me to no end! I have a few very simple rule for the gun counter. If you absolutely positively KNOW the answer then be as helpful as possible, if you don't be honest and tell the customer so but don't make stuff up. If they still want your help call ME. I will know the answer, attempt to find the answer, or honestly tell the customer that I do not know but I will do my absolute best to find out.

How would you feel if you, the customer, were told by the salesman that he doesn't know about (in this scenario) about the difference between the Aguilla and the Olympic BUT he wants to know why there is? Would you feel comfortable to explain to a salesperson in charge of selling the product you're looking for? I know several folks that aren't and would just as soon as slap the dude for even daring to ask when he works there. I'm honestly curious because I think salespeople could learn a lot from what customers do know rather than looking for management to answer something they mostly don't know. I'm new into firearms but, as a former salesperson, I've always wondered about this.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would you feel if you, the customer, were told by the salesman that he doesn't know about (in this scenario) about the difference between the Aguilla and the Olympic BUT he wants to know why there is? Would you feel comfortable to explain to a salesperson in charge of selling the product you're looking for? I know several folks that aren't and would just as soon as slap the dude for even daring to ask when he works there. I'm honestly curious because I think salespeople could learn a lot from what customers do know rather than looking for management to answer something they mostly don't know. I'm new into firearms but, as a former salesperson, I've always wondered about this.

For myself I always think I and my associates can learn from customers. Here is the catch though. Before every repeating anything a customer tells you it needs to be verified. I take the guns and ammo section of my store very personally since that is what I really enjoy and most of my people understand that they need to ask me or look up for themselves before spewing a customers "facts". The truth is that anyone who has worked a gun counter for any amount of time has heard a lot of made up ********. Some of it you try to correct, usually if it can be harmful or if it is condescending to another customer. A lot of it you just smile and nod. Personally I don't think a person needs to learn just from managment. they should learn from many sources to include peers, customers, manufacture info, magazine articles (JWRyan84 taught me that and yes if we have something in the store and a good gun rag article is out on that particular gun I will put that magazine out for my associates to read), internet forums basically just about anywhere. I do this because guns and shooting is what I love. Honestly though most in my industry couldn't give 2 squirts of piss about all that. That is when you go back to the IDK answer.

As always I just tell them to be sure of what they are saying is the truth. I rarely give negative opinions and ask that my associates never do. My exceptions are (for current inventory) on the ZQI 7.62 nato ammo, every Remington 770 (and i used to do it to the 710) and lastly on the diamondback ar15. positive opinions I will take from my and friends experiences as well as select cool customer stories.

I hope I answered your question as I kinda confused myself in many thoughts in all that\

edited to add that how I would feel as the customer is probably a bit frustrated that the person couldn't help me. However as a honest person and a manager I believe telling the truth about my lack of knowledge on that particular subject and refusing to make something up is always better. When in those situations we read the box together and that is the info you will get from me.

in the OP's original post in fact I am not familiar with the 2 ammos. In that case we read the box, if you are interested I will explain to you what the grains actually is. I don't know but at that price diffrence I would be looking for something that indicated much different FPS, or a description of being match grade, or sub sonic. Basically anything that sat it apart from the other as most manufactures are pretty good at saying why their stuff is better right on the box. Or simply a pricing error!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom