Long-Range build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, posting this more to think out loud, but would appreciate any input if you feel so inclined. I have the itch to put something together that will be more of a long range rifle than anything else. I don't get out to the rifle range very often, but would like to start shooting at Fouled Bore.

Here's where I'm trying to make a couple decisions. Do I start with something I already have or start from the ground up? I have a Howa 1500 6.5 CM as well as a MDT HS3 chassis that I still have never shot (it's not even set in the chassis yet, still need a Magpul PRS) which was originally my choice to start with. I've also got a Savage 12 varmint in 308 currently in a Boyd's stock, so I'd swap that out if I go with it. Both of these rifles are stock and unfired.

So, do I run with what I have or do I pick up something else and start from scratch? I was looking at a PTG 700 clone action and having somebody install a barrel but I don't know if I want to drop that kind of coin on this build since I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like...

Anybody have any thoughts? Currently I'm leaning to shooting the Howa for now, possibly picking up a McMillan A5 stock for the Savage to figure out which platform I prefer. I would really like to do a build off of a PTG action but it would be quite a while before I'd have the cash to complete it... I have a Rem700 LSS in 30.06 that I was considering re-barreling but I think I'd be better off selling it and using the cash to put towards a build. So, with those options, anybody have any opinions in direction to go from here? Anybody have an A5 stock for Savage receiver you're looking to sell? Or anybody have an FDE Magpul PRS? Anybody have any experience with the PTG receiver? Suggestions on who to have install a barrel if I go that route (and rough estimate on cost?)?

Too many damn options!

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me Savage rifles are the swiss army knife of bolt guns , swap the barrel yourself , swap bolt heads or get a whole new bolt if you want . How does the Howa shoot ? 6.5 is a fun round , I may build one in the future

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No reason why what you have won't work. The howa or the savage will work fine with the stocks you have.

I do not have any experience with a ptg action but they get reviewed well. The cheapest option would be a prefit savage barrel for your savage. You could install it your self with minimal tools. Upgraded barrel nut and recoil lug if you go that route.

You could sell your .30-06 and buy a short action 700 then tear it down for the action and have it blue printed and use it for a build.
Defiance bighorn and surgeon make awesome actions
A barrel blank will run from 275-450 depending on caliber contour and brand. Unless you want a carbon then even higher. Chamber and install will range from 3-4 or more depending on who you use.

John beanland is a great one beanland customs in Oklahoma

Bobby hunter in Edmond does good work.

Steve Baldwin in jones does awesome work as well.

I used Chris Rohdich at vallahalla rifle works in South Carolina for my last build and like most good smith's he does kickass work but the wait. I was six months after I shipped him all the parts.

Your right there are too damn many options and with custom rifles they run the gambit. I'd take what I've got buy some great glass and see if you like it if you do you will most likely go the custom route later.

The optic is just as important than the gun sometimes more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can build nice rigs on about any modern action but one thing to keep in mind, a savage will always be a savage, a Remington will always be a Remington, etc. Probably won't matter much until it's time to sell provided the essentials are trued.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 6.5 CM and chassis you never shot.
Start there.
You may end there also.
It takes a lot of time and practice to shoot well at long distances.
Seems like you have the proper equipment now. shoot it and see. Read this.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/11/gun-review-howa-chassis-rifle/

Not a special read or anything but the ammo choice worked for him.. if you do not roll your own.

What in your mind is long distances?
How often do you think you will get to shoot these distances?

Don't over think it .. get out and shoot what you have and learn the wind and watch what happens to the load when the temperatures change.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put a good piece of glass on that 6.5 and take it to FB. A lot of guys there shoot 6.5 so they can talk numbers with you. Whatever gets you to FB the fastest and cheapest just to get your feet wet is what I would do. Everybody there is great and nobody looks down their nose at someone with a cheap rig. Just make sure your scope has enough elevation adj or you have a 20moa base so you can reach on out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom