Long range shotgun - crows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is something I never imagined seeing. I’m very interested.
I have tried to several guys interested in this type of shooting, but they always say the same thing - why not just use a rifle!

Like I explained earlier, the local ranchers don't want anyone shooting a rifle around their cattle, and I don't blame them. Shooting a shotgun, I can shoot on several different properties, and keep getting invited back. Crows first, then coyotes and hopefully deer and ducks in the future.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was all impressed with my flying gadwall the other day at about 48-52 yards (I'll say 50)...but apparently my long shot on a bird in the last 20 years is just a warm-up for other people :D.

Good job and write-up.
50 yards is a good shot on waterfowl!

Thank you!

I enjoy sharing my shotgun loads and accomplishments, and hope to help those interested in the same thing.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Let me explain my "crow board" and how I go about determining my maximum shooting distance.

Take a 2X4 and cut it to a length of 10".

Center drill one end of the 2X4 and insert a hardwood dowel. I use a 3 ft. long dowel 3/8" or 1/2" in diameter.

Paint the 2X4 black.

This is your crow target board.

Shoot the target, and if you can consistently put on put at least 3 pellets in your target, then you should have no problem killing crows out to that distance.

My 30" barrel will keep a minimum of 3 pellets in the target board out to 60 yards, but my 34" barrel will keep 3 pellets in the target board out to a couple of feet past 90 yards.

Yes, I have killed a few crows grave yard dead at 90 yards, but at the same time, I have also had to run down a few crows to finish them off.
Is three pellets in your crow board what you are referring to as a 100% pattern?

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you explain "buffered loads"?
Are you putting a buffering substance in with the lead shot or are you referring to something like a cork buffer under the wad?
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom