Long range shotgun - crows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain "buffered loads"?
Are you putting a buffering substance in with the lead shot or are you referring to something like a cork buffer under the wad?
Thanks.
Buffered loads - a spherical buffer that is placed in a load that completely surrounds all shot that is contained within the wad.

My best crow, duck, goose and coyote loads contain buffer, as it allows for tighter patterns at longer distances.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I had to stay in bed all week, doctors orders, I decided to get out for a little bit this afternoon and shoot one of my crow "targets".

The crow target is a 2X4 that is 10" long and painted black -
IMG_20211224_125907.jpg

IMG_20211224_160402.jpg

The target was set up at a laser ranged 90 yards. The distance was double checked with my surveyors tape -
IMG_20211223_145209.jpg

One shot at 90 yards, with a 2 ft. holdover, and there are four #2 magnum lead pellets right on target! This would definitely have resulted in a dead crow!
IMG_20211224_160949.jpg

While not very scientific, this is how I determine the maximum shooting distance from my shotgun and specialized long range crow loads.

If I was shooting a crow instead of my wooden target posted above, that would have been a perfect 90 yard kill!

With a forward facing breast or back shot, those #2 magnum lead pellets would have made it in one side and out the other. A hit in the wing would have resulted in a broken bone, but not guaranteed a kill unless a pellet or two made it's way into and or through the body.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Longest shotgun shot I ever made was on a turkey at 65 paces with a Winchester Double xx Mag 3" load of #4shot. Coming out of a Full Choked 36" barreled Marlin Goose Gun. Man that thing would reach on out a get er done but it was the most aggravating thing to carry I ever owned. Would hardly even fit in the truck. I once was swinging around on a Turkey and the dadburn barrel hit a sapling that i though was at least four feet away and made a giant TINK sound. There went old Gobbler and the the gun right behind it after that.
I matched it again on a doe at the same 65 yds with the same brand shell in 3" #4buckshot in a Mod choked Rem model 870. She fell over instantly and had 17 .243 balls on the far side under the hide that didn't have enough left to exit. The stuff is copper plated and buffered which helps but relatively expensive.
Back when we had World Class turkey populations down here I played with all kinds of stuff back then on those smarty alex lock-up birds. Pulling 2 triggers on a SS 10 gauge, testing about ever brand of shotgun made, spin waxing the barrels with a drill and car wax on a mop trying to get that extra foot or two, Duplex loads, you name it, but those 2 are the best shots ever actually made on something besides a target.
I am sure others here have done maybe a little better using some combination. I am really a little hesitant to try much past that myself for humane reasons and then only if I am carrying the right stuff that I know may be able to do it.

Unless you plan on learning how to bottle neck hone a barrel which is about a lost art, I think that is just about the absolute max effective limit except for heavier buckshot. There is only so much you can squeeze out of a shotgun.,

Last edited:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After watching and talking to several guys in the UK that shoot crows from 70 to 100 yards on a consistent basis, I thought I could do the same thing over here.

So, after working with many different loads, and several thousand rounds later, over the past couple of years, I have pretty much gotten things figured out with the following results.

82 yards!
View attachment 241654

62 yards!
View attachment 241656

80 yard average!
View attachment 241657

89 yards!
View attachment 241658

92 yards!
View attachment 241659

86 yards!
View attachment 241660

Crows were ranged with a laser rangefinder, and were shot either in the top of a pine tree or out in an open pasture.

Load/gun information:

12 ga. 2 3/4"

1 1/8 oz. #2 magnum lead

Buffered loads

1,480 fps.

Remington 870

34" Hastings Wadlock barrel

.680 extended choke tube

Any of you guys ever get into this type of shooting, or interested in long range shotgun shooting for crows? This can be very addictive, and a lot of fun with a shotgun.
I think your 34" barrel is as long as my whole rem 870 20ga youth!

(Had to check it is 40.25")

I am not a youth, or youth sized, but enjoy a nice compact unit!

Mine has the 21" bbl, but if they would have giving me the choice I would have opted for the 18.5" jr barrel!

What your doing looks fun though!

I hate crows they want my sweet corn!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your 34" barrel is as long as my whole rem 870 20ga youth!

(Had to check it is 40.25")

I am not a youth, or youth sized, but enjoy a nice compact unit!

Mine has the 21" bbl, but if they would have giving me the choice I would have opted for the 18.5" jr barrel!

What your doing looks fun though!

I hate crows they want my sweet corn!
Like I've said several times before, it is a lot of fun!

I don't mind the long barrel, and the Hastings Wadlock barrels are some of the best barrels I have used when it comes shooting a shotgun at longer than normal shotgun ranges.

There is a store where we can buy 10 big loaves of bread for $3.00 and this is some of the best "crow bait" we have ever used. Put out a couple loaves before daylight, and the crows will be there eating before the sun pops up over the tree line. Laying fully camouflaged on a fence row 80-100 yards away, those or crow have no idea you are anywhere around.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I've said several times before, it is a lot of fun!

I don't mind the long barrel, and the Hastings Wadlock barrels are some of the best barrels I have used when it comes shooting a shotgun at longer than normal shotgun ranges.

There is a store where we can buy 10 big loaves of bread for $3.00 and this is some of the best "crow bait" we have ever used. Put out a couple loaves before daylight, and the crows will be there eating before the sun pops up over the tree line. Laying fully camouflaged on a fence row 80-100 yards away, those or crow have no idea you are anywhere around.
Ok, I’ve located Longshot powder and have it heading my way, but I can’t find #2 shot. Everywhere I’ve checked online is out or #4 is the biggest they carry. Do you know of any sources?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve located Longshot powder and have it heading my way, but I can’t find #2 shot. Everywhere I’ve checked online is out or #4 is the biggest they carry. Do you know of any sources?
I have been scouring the web for over a week, trying to find more #2 magnum lead shot and so far, no luck!

If and when I get some located, I will buy extra.

You will also need Federal 12S4 wads.

Federal 209A primers.

Federal Gold Medal hull's.

16 ga. Nitro Cards.

Precision Reloading buffer.

Longshot powder.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been scouring the web for over a week, trying to find more #2 magnum lead shot and so far, no luck!

If and when I get some located, I will buy extra.

You will also need Federal 12S4 wads.

Federal 209A primers.

Federal Gold Medal hull's.

16 ga. Nitro Cards.

Precision Reloading buffer.

Longshot powder.
Pretty sure I have the GM hulls and Fed primers, but evidently, Ballistic Products will be getting some more of my money.

Have you ordered fro BP lately? They’re horribly slow shipping. I bought some #1.5 buckshot (.490 diameter) to use in my 50 cal muzzleloader for round ball shooting, and it took almost a month to ship. :censored:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you chronograph the load or is that the published velocity?

You state a .680 choke. Which is an Extra-Full or Turkey choke. This makes no difference on barrel length. An 18" or 36" barrel, will shoot the same. The difference is short barrels tend to have more open chokes and long barrels tend to be tighter choked. Short barrels are light and fast. Long barrels control your swing and maintain follow through on long shots.
Having screw in chokes allows versatility.
Get a turkey choke, put it on your short barrels and pattern it.
Same goes for gauge, 20 Ga Full is same as 12 ga. The difference is the number of pellets. Pattern size is the same.

What is allowing those ultra long kills is the same thing that allows long shots with rifles. VELOCITY and HEAVY SHOT (bullet)

I found some turkey loads of #4s @ 1500 fps. They are good to 80 yards, using any 870 28" barrel with Extra-Full choke tube.

I have some 3" Lead BB loads. They will fully penetrate a large gobbler (back to front) @ 110 yards, but patterns density is the problem.
I seen them shot, did not make it.

The biggest problem will be finding #2 shot.
Since nontoxic shot became law, #4 is about the biggest lead available.

Choke Tube Diameter and Constriction Table - WaterfowlChoke

Latest posts

Top Bottom