Looking for my First AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have stated in other posts, nows not a good time to get into 7.62x39 caliber due to ammo availability /scarcity. I just sold off mine in 5.45 & 7.62x39 for .308 and .223 versions. & PSA would have to release a nice krink in 5.56 right afterwards. But if your deadset on it, PSA is gtg. If you want high end get the one with the fn chrome hammer forged barrel.

ripple

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
As others have stated in other posts, nows not a good time to get into 7.62x39 caliber due to ammo availability /scarcity. I just sold off mine in 5.45 & 7.62x39 for .308 and .223 versions. & PSA would have to release a nice krink in 5.56 right afterwards. But if your deadset on it, PSA is gtg. If you want high end get the one with the fn chrome hammer forged barrel.
i see. i have pm'd you regarding aks.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.45 might be a little problematic going forward, but 7.62x39 is plentiful. I don't see it drying up anytime soon. The prices have risen, but that's on about everything. Sadly, the days of sub-50 cent .308 surplus and sub-30 cent .556 of just a few years ago seems like a distant memory.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, it's going to be around. But it's not going to be cheap or readily available. I haven't seen a box of 7.62x39 on gun store shelves In OKC in 2-3 years aside from one or two boxes when you can get Winchester domestically produced whitebox. since the Russian ammo ban & then you have the war in Ukraine where all of the for mentioned ammo types are going. All of this stuffs getting exported to assist them and we're already paying for it with our tax dollars. If you want to pay 40$ for a box of 50 7.62x39 if your lucky to find it in the next year or two on a shelf or still pay big bucks to buy online, go ahead, but no chance of seeing 5.45 and if you do order it online it's not really economically ethical unless you want to pay a lot for little when there's better options for cheaper and more bang for your buck.

It's not going to get better anytime soon if you've paid attention to what's going on with the war in Ukraine that isn't looking to stop.

Only thing that might improve the situation is if PSA really does step up to the plate and start domestically producing ammunition for the general public & with their track record I doubt it's going to happen soon. We all have been waiting for guns announced to release for how long now?

By the time imo it gets better will be 2-3 years, the war in Ukraine will be ending and then when it's no longer needed PSA will probably finally start slowly introducing high cost domestically produced ammo and once some imports start flowing in because the wars over it might bring the domestically produced ammos prices down.

That's just my thoughts.

JamesB

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
PSA is supposed to be producing their own line of 7.62x39 soon and there are many other companies like sterling, Inman,belom,PMC out there also .. I have no issues getting it.. personally I’d look at a Galil 556

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look I'm just being realistic here.

Sterling is absolute bottom of the barrel and likely corrosive trash Turkish ammo, the other Inman is some weird new kid on the block. It may be good stuff, it might not. I don't think past imports from this Bosnian place were that great but it's probably the best go-to ammo for cheap affordable range stuff atm. Locally if you can find it, good luck, they markup ammo costs so much your paying about an additional 5-10$ per box. Belom is Russian made, so idk where your still finding that but it won't be around much longer and pmc I haven't seen and have no experience with. Looks like it's south Korean ammo so might be ok. I think I had some 9mm brass case stuff by them that seemed fine. But I imagine costs are similar to Winchester white box.

It's never going to be like it used to with cheap available tula ammo at all the local retailers like Wally world for 5$ a box for 20 rounds like it was pre pandemic. It will be around, but higher costs and you gotta look for it. But I can guarantee you are not gonna find cheap or available 5.45x39 without really having to go out of your way. I plan on shooting a lot so that's why I switched to calibers I can goto any gun store and almost be guaranteed to have ammo availability.

PSA is supposed to be producing their own line of 7.62x39 soon and there are many other companies like sterling, Inman,belom,PMC out there also .. I have no issues getting it.. personally I’d look at -

Latest posts

Top Bottom