Lyman T-Mag II?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a T Mag and have used it for 15-20 years to load rifle and pistol.Rifle sizing for .308 and 30-06 the turret has some movement to it so I sized on a single stage. I knew someone who had a Redding turret [Deceased now]and he used it for everything,rifle sizing would have just enough movement of the turret you could see it but not as much as my T mag.They both turn out good ammo. I now use a Dillon and a single stage,T Mag just for working up loads.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old Lyman T-Mag (pre-II) and it handles .375 H&H loading just fine. I also have a T-Mag II that has a heavier ram. These things are robust, and I have never seen any evidence of deflection under heavy pressure. Can't speak to the Redding, have no experience with them.

Best source of extra turrets has been Midway for me. Haven't bought any in a couple of years, and don't know current prices. As far as the advice someone gave to get a single stage loader, don't listen. Turret presses are superior to all others for small batches (working up new loads) and are significantly faster when doing batch loading than single stage presses. Also, once the dies are properly adjusted, you never need to move them unless you change your load.

Again, the Lyman T-Mag II will do the job for you. CB

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks CB. Trying to justify the cost of the Redding, but if the Lyman will handle the job just fine, that is $100 cheaper and extra turrets are $20 cheaper. I have a good single stage now (what I started out on), so that area is covered.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the T-Mag II and the Hornady LNL also. I use the T-Mag for small batches while working up loads and then the LNL to mass produce. I wouldn't trade either one.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made a big mistake: watched a youtube video of the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP, and I think I might have to have one. Didn't think I really needed a progressive, but that would be great for pistol stuff, even at a slower pace. I can always use the RC for the big stuff if need be.

Doesn't help that Midway sent me an e-mail with $35 off of any retail purchase over $350.....

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably too late now, but I have a Hornady LNL AP, Hornady LNL Classic, and a Redding T-7. I compared the T-7 and T-Mag II side by side at Sportsmans Warehouse when I was in SC for school. The T-Mag II felt like a toy compared to the T-7. The T-7 is definitely worth the extra money. I load .300 H&H, .375 H&H, and .450-400 NE 3" on it.

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u317_DoubleARon_2007_DSCI0279.jpg

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u317_DoubleARon_2007_DSCI0281.jpg

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u317_DoubleARon_2007_DSCI0289.jpg

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midway has the T-Mag II for less than $150 (not including freight) and gets a little over $260 for the Redding. Turrets for the Lyman are forty dollars, and Redding turrets are more than sixty.

Having said that, the extra hole in the Redding turret would reduce the need for turrets a bit. Some of my setups use four dies, and it would be nice to have three more holes for a second caliber. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom