M&P 9mm help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to hold the M&P and I think that I've decided on getting one. My questions are simple. I am not going to be using this weapon for anything other than range shooting and possibly competitive shooting, if I ever even get to that point. What would be your thoughts on getting the 4.25" vs. 5" barrel length. Would one be a better choice than the other for a range gun? I have only been able to handle the 4.25" locally, so I don't know how the other would feel. Also, what is everyones opinion on the model with the ambidextrous manual safety? TIA.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went thorugh the same process, and wound up with the M&P 9 Pro 5".
Absolutely the right choice for range use.
It's one of the first guns I ever bought that I have no desire to change anything on it for IDPA or USPSA Production. It is set up and more capable than I am.

IMHO the manual safety is a waste and a nuiance on an M&P solely for the range. I think it was put on to meet some LE dept requirements. The mechanism has 3 safeties already and won't fire unless you pull the trigger. Same opinion on the "magazine safety."

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went thorugh the same process, and wound up with the M&P 9 Pro 5".
Absolutely the right choice for range use.
It's one of the first guns I ever bought that I have no desire to change anything on it for IDPA or USPSA Production. It is set up and more capable than I am.

IMHO the manual safety is a waste and a nuiance on an M&P solely for the range. I think it was put on to meet some LE dept requirements. The mechanism has 3 safeties already and won't fire unless you pull the trigger. Same opinion on the "magazine safety."

So you like the trigger? I have been researching online and a ton of people seem to think that even the Pro's trigger needs to be replaced. Also, how well do you like the fiber-optic sights on the Pro? TIA

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Pro's trigger was just meh... Not bad, I've felt far worse on plastic framed guns. But in that regard you are in luck because we are blessed with IMO the nations foremost M&P smith. Olyeller right here on this board can make that trigger as good as it will ever be.

I got about 5000 rounds out of my fibre rod before it jumped into oblivion. It was at a steel challenge match and to be honest I didn't even realize it. The light was coming through the rod channel just fine. Better keep some spare rods handy just in case.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Pro's trigger was just meh... Not bad, I've felt far worse on plastic framed guns. But in that regard you are in luck because we are blessed with IMO the nations foremost M&P smith. Olyeller right here on this board can make that trigger as good as it will ever be.

I got about 5000 rounds out of my fibre rod before it jumped into oblivion. It was at a steel challenge match and to be honest I didn't even realize it. The light was coming through the rod channel just fine. Better keep some spare rods handy just in case.

I'm just now getting into the handgun arena, always been a long gun guy. I found a limited edition bi-tone model new for a pretty good price. If I decided to get try competitive shooting at some point, is there a negative to a stainless slide in relation to using the sights? I guess what I am asking is, will light reflect off of the slide and cause a glare that could affect shooting? Also, I have read a lot of great reviews for oleyeller. On average, what would a trigger job cost from oleyeller? I'm just curious if I would be better off getting the 9L and then getting the trigger and fiber-optic sights added by him later. Thanks for the help guys.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 9l is what most guys get when they send one for me to work over.
I actually prefer the shorter 4.25".
Triggers on m&p's will run 70-100, depending on your needs.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope I added it correctly.

Attachments

• m&p pro 9mm.jpg
    m&p pro 9mm.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 127

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you like the trigger? I have been researching online and a ton of people seem to think that even the Pro's trigger needs to be replaced. Also, how well do you like the fiber-optic sights on the Pro? TIA

If you are going to have the trigger worked on, don't bother spending the money on the Pro, like olyeller said. You have to understand I come from decades of shooting revolvers and two-stage military rifle triggers, so the difference between the 4# Pro trigger (yes, I got a good one) and olyeller's best does not change my shooting enough to matter. If a guy comes from a years of shooting an STI 3# single stage trigger, the M&P trigger can seem vague and long and drive him nuts.
My favorite sight setup on any handgun is fiber front and black blade rear. You pays your money and you makes your choices...

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to have the trigger worked on, don't bother spending the money on the Pro, like olyeller said. You have to understand I come from decades of shooting revolvers and two-stage military rifle triggers, so the difference between the 4# Pro trigger (yes, I got a good one) and olyeller's best does not change my shooting enough to matter. If a guy comes from a years of shooting an STI 3# single stage trigger, the M&P trigger can seem vague and long and drive him nuts.
My favorite sight setup on any handgun is fiber front and black blade rear. You pays your money and you makes your choices...

I may just go with the Pro since the difference in price is only about $75 and from what I've read, it has some higher quality internal parts. At worst, I at least have the fiber-optic front sight that I would get installed anyway. I am also really liking the bi-tone and I've only seen it in the Pro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom