M&P 9mm Locked up. Live round in chamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While completing the shooting portion of my CCW recently I had a malfunction with my fairly new M&P full size 9mm. The gun is relatively new with less than 100-rds fired.

Here is what happened. This was the 2nd time out with this particular pistol.
I had fired 30-rounds, flawlessly.
Reloaded another magazine with 5-rounds.
First round went as expected and hit the target. The gun cycled. Went to pull the trigger for the next round and nothing. The trigger went all the way back as though the hammer/striker wasn't reset. Informed the instructor, as this was for the CCW, and went to rack the slide, thinking that would eject the current live round, and reset the hammer/striker.

The slide wont move. The magazine was removed and the gun was inspected by myself and the instructed. No luck moving the slide. I finished the course using my wife's .22 (embarassing)

After the course was finished the instructor and I both carefully examined the pistol. The slide is about 1/4" back from the normal closed position and the guide rod seems to stick out the front of the pistol a little to far. There is only about 1/16" of movement front to back with the slide, with not even the slightest hint of wanting to fully cycle. It also appears that the live round is not fully seated in the chamber.

It was immediately taken to the gunsmith and I am waiting on any word of it's condition/ solutions.

Any ideas??

Also, would you be able to trust this gun again, or even the same make? I have has M&P before and loved them, but not quite sure I can trust it to perform when needed.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 13000 rounds through my MP. Only failure so far has been a broken striker spring around 12000 or so. That is the failure of preventative maintenance, not the weapon. I trust it immensely.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was immediately taken to the gunsmith and I am waiting on any word of it's condition/ solutions.

Also, would you be able to trust this gun again, or even the same make? I have has M&P before and loved them, but not quite sure I can trust it to perform when needed.

Guns are tools. Some tools work as designed and sometimes they do not. Sometimes it is because of production errors. Some times it is from user errors.

I might not trust that particular gun, but I would think that depends entirely on what the Smith says and then about 500 flawless rounds after, YMMV.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My first thought is you might have a round of something other than 9mm mixed up in the magazine.:anyone:

I have never had that happen so I don't know what the result would be.

I would wait to see what the gunsmith finds before pronouncing the death sentence on the pistol.

I have owned several M&Ps, and never had an issue with any of them.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting Remington UMC. I agree, after more thought, the slight movement in the slide (which isn't much) I believe is from the ejectors slight movement around the rim of the cartridge. If the round is jammed partially into the chamber and cant go any further, that would prevent the slide from closing. And if the round is locked partially in the chamber and the ejector is already past the rim, the slide cannot be retracted without ripping the rim off the cartridge.

If it was something wrong with the round (don't know haven't heard back yet) I wonder what Remington would say about it. It was a factory box of Remington UMC ammo. I didn't closely inspect every round, but I did have to load it into the magazine and don't recall anything of about any of the other cartridges. I think it may be time to inspect the remainder of the box and the other boxes while I'm at it.