M&P 9mm Locked up. Live round in chamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The smith I took it to told me he has seen numerous NIB firearms that have been shipped with missing parts. Primarily missing springs and pins. Quality products are becoming harder to come by these days and the fact the some of the big name manufacturers are letting QC slip so that more product hits the selves is getting hard to swallow.

I for one won't be buying and new firearms for a while. It hard to beat the old school quality made items

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad the issue is fully understood and resolved. Bad factory ammo happens. At the World Skeet Shoot one of my shooters (I was a ref) had a 12 ga Winchester factory skeet load fail to fire. After holding his finger on the trigger for the required time, I had him extract the bad round and gave him a "proof" round to replace it. I kept the bad one and took it to the Winchester folks who had a tent set up for the event.

The "autopsy" revealed that the primer had no "guts." It was empty. The Winchester rep said he had never seen or heard of this particular problem, He did go on to list a large number of other factory goofs he had seen over his long career, so I suspect he was being truthful.

A little off topic, but as a shooter of 9x18 ammo in Makarovs, I have always been hyper cautious not to get any of it mixed up with my 9x19 ammo.

9x18 is considerably bigger in diameter, .363 or so to the 9x19's .355, but depending on the gun it might be possible to start one into a 9x19 chamber. I suspect that would create the mother of all jams, but this is just speculation. I have never heard of it happening. I have heard of folks figuring out ways to chamber a 9x19 in a 9x18 gun, and nothing good ever came of that . . .

And as long as I'm on the subject, some 9x18 shooters insist that it's okay to shoot .380 (9x17) in a 9x18 gun. It's not. Poor performance combines with a vastly oversize chamber which offers the possibllity of a flame jet resulting from a ruptured case and cutting off something (like a thumb in the case I know about) that won't grow back. Cartridge is held against the breech face by the extractor.

I have had more problems with Remington UMC in 9mm than any other brand. Typically it has been low powered and has resulted in jamming in guns that eat everything else. I bought 2000 rounds of it from Bass Pro when it was $3.88 a box. It made good trade stock later. I had quit shooting it and got rid of it when the first panic hit.

Since reloading was mentioned by the OP, I would like to suggest using the Lee final crimp die. If you use that, there will not be any feeding problems.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'9x18 is considerably bigger in diameter, .363 or so to the 9x19's .355, but depending on the gun it might be possible to start one into a 9x19 chamber. I suspect that would create the mother of all jams, but this is just speculation. I have never heard of it happening.'

done it, and yes it's a pain to clear.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 9mm factory load that has part of the bullet jacket shaved by the case mouth. It would not feed into my friends Sig2022. It could have stuck in the chamber similar to the one from the OP.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a coworker by severall boxes thought it was 9mm could no figure out why it would not go into battery. Brought me one to look at 9mm mak, got a few boxes of free ammo for my 9x18