M&P 9mm Locked up. Live round in chamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had a problem like this with my M&P's. It sounds like maybe the previous round left something in the chamber and the next one wedged inside or the round in the chamber had something happen and has wedged itself. I had a box of factory ammo come with two rounds that were pressed almost all the way into the case. The box had gotten crushed a little on one corner and they were over seated. I noticed and threw them away as I had no desire to have a malfunction.

The smith should be able to release the extractor from the round manually and then remove the round from the chamber and see what the case is. I can understand the apprehension to use it as a carry weapon but assuming you purchased it new and that it was a weapon malfunction and not a problem with the ammo I would contact S&W and arrange for it to be sent back for them to fix. I dealt with their service department on my .45 about 6 months ago. The spring in the magazine had a bad spot that was soft steel and when it was loaded it would compress and not spring back. Less than five minutes on the phone with the gentleman at S&W and a spring was in the mail, got it 3 or 4 days later and ended up with two new springs even though only one was bad. Also one of the reasons why I have purchased factory new so far, enjoy having the warranty so unless I mess something up it is pretty well covered.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen guys at competitions grab the slide and then slam their hand onto the grip, basically a violent working of the action, to free up jams.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That does sound like an ammo problem. Nightshade your M&P is a fine gun. You'll get it figured out.

For future reference if the striker doesn't reset it only takes between 1/8" of 1/4" to reset it. No need to rack the slide all the way back and lose that round, just make sure you get the slide fully back into battery with a whack on the back of it. I have an early M&P 9Pro that was afflicted with the "dead trigger syndrome" for a time when it was new. I found by comparing with several other M&Ps that I needed to tweak the trigger bar just ever so slightly, that it was rubbing on the frame during the slide cycle. I have around 8000 rounds through it now and it's golden. Get a spare striker assembly, a spare trigger return spring (Glock springs work fine) and change out your recoil spring every 5 to 7K rounds and you can put 50,000 rounds through that gun easily.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does sound like an ammo problem. Nightshade your M&P is a fine gun. You'll get it figured out.

For future reference if the striker doesn't reset it only takes between 1/8" of 1/4" to reset it. No need to rack the slide all the way back and lose that round, just make sure you get the slide fully back into battery with a whack on the back of it. I have an early M&P 9Pro that was afflicted with the "dead trigger syndrome" for a time when it was new. I found by comparing with several other M&Ps that I needed to tweak the trigger bar just ever so slightly, that it was rubbing on the frame during the slide cycle. I have around 8000 rounds through it now and it's golden. Get a spare striker assembly, a spare trigger return spring (Glock springs work fine) and change out your recoil spring every 5 to 7K rounds and you can put 50,000 rounds through that gun easily.

Where did you pick up your pro from? Know of any places that have a good price on them?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P Pro generally runs about 100 to 150 more than the regular M&P's. The most notable feature I would be interested in is that they have a 5 inch .40 and 9mm as well as the slightly better trigger setup. Otherwise a lot the same as the M&P's though some of the aftermarket parts for the triggers and linkage is supposedly not compatible as they changed a few parts there.