M-Pro 7: Too weak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I normally use Hoppe's for all my cleaning and it's never really let me down (including cleaning out some severe copper fouling in an old Mosin) but my wife can't stand the smell. I love it, but of course she wins out. So now that she's got her own gun she wanted to learn how to strip and clean it herself, but not using Hoppe's. Some quick googling brought up a lot of hits for M-Pro 7 for being scent-free and effective. So we picked up a bottle at Walmart and spent the night cleaning together. Her with an M&P9 which had roughly 200ish rounds through it after her first session with it and me with a 1911 with about 700ish rounds between two separate range sessions. We thoroughly cleaned the guns using the M-Pro 7, I think we have about a third or a quarter of the bottle left. I did soak my barrel in a pan of Hoppes prior. But I noticed a lot of black on my rags when I was oiling the frame down after I was sure to get only spotless wipes when I was finishing up cleaning. I sprayed some more M-Pro 7 onto a white rag, wiped the area, it came out very lightly soiled. So I took another rag and put a bit of Hoppe's on it and wiped the same area again. This time the rag came away much blacker. Now I was sure to not use the stuff conservatively, I was soaking areas and letting them sit and soaking them again, wiping, soaking multiple times. I am very thorough, I don't hold back when cleaning. So my question is: is this M-Pro 7 stuff weak or am I just doing it wrong?

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Try Boretech Eliminator, Nice product and more env.

Or at least research it...........

From what I could find it looks like it's a great copper-remover. But how is it at carbon fouling? I don't have any copper problems outside of the Mosin and I don't shoot that often enough that Hoppe's can't handle it. Everything I find focuses on the copper-removing aspect of it, not it's utility in general gun cleaning.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FrogLube is the only thing I use now. The solvent gets all the gunk out and the green clp treats the metal so nothing new can build up or stick to it. Plus it smells like winter green when using it.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FrogLube is the only thing I use now. The solvent gets all the gunk out and the green clp treats the metal so nothing new can build up or stick to it. Plus it smells like winter green when using it.

I'll give FrogLube a look, after I run through this quart of Hoppe's.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but my basic question was regarding the strength of M-Pro 7.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give FrogLube a look, after I run through this quart of Hoppe's.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but my basic question was regarding the strength of M-Pro 7.

Personal experience with mpro7 was that it just wasn't powerful enough to clean as completely as I liked. Took way to long to get some what clean patches.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personal experience with mpro7 was that it just wasn't powerful enough to clean as completely as I liked. Took way to long to get some what clean patches.

Sounds similar to my experience then. I'll probably just use the last of it up and refill the bottle with Hoppe's. I like the spray applicator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom