Laundry and dish washer detergent my observations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use paper plates and plastic silverware and the dishwasher doesn't need to run.😂
I have reused paper plates and my plasticware gets saved until it breaks and I wash it in the dishwasher or by hand also.

Yea I am that tight.
At parties I usually keep my fork in my pocket after I have eaten.
Then later after everyone has had their fill i get anopther plate and reach in my pocket for the fork or spoon and 1/2 used paper towel/napkin.

If it is still usable I hate to toss it.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have reused paper plates and my plasticware gets saved until it breaks and I wash it in the dishwasher or by hand also.

Yea I am that tight.
Then later after everyone has had their fill i get anopther plate and reach in my pocket for the fork or spoon and 1/2 used paper towel/napkin.

I remember grammy washing her zip lock baggies on top rack of the dishwasher and washing off well tarnished aluminum foil to use again, but she was from an era before the disposable generation.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I noticed with a couple of dishwasher detergents. Cascade pods will turn the old RevereWear copper on the bottom of the pans a dark dingy ugly oxidized looking grey. Finish pods make it shine bright, as in you polished it with Flitz kinda bright.

Also with the Cascade pods the dishwasher will get funky smelling after about 3 weeks, then you need to run a "Lemishine cycle" to freshen it up. Don't need to do that with Finish pods.

I don't notice any of what you mention, but I do use the Cascade, so I'll try the Finish next time I buy DW soap.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I ever build another house I'm going to have a KA dishwasher, fridge and stove and a Speed Queen washer & Dryer. I'd like to have a Sub-Zero fridge & freezer, but alas my movie & professional athlete careers never really took off.

I use bleach to wash my whites in the washing machine, and I'll use a healthy dose of white vinegar in colors if something got funky. Never any Downey with towels or knits. Cotton & cotton blends (tshirts, socks, undies etc etc) only get the softener. I also run the washing machine on the clean cycle with a couple cups of bleach in there ever other month or so. I use Cheer HE and Tide Pods of some kind and oxy powder if something is pretty funky.

I do kinda the same thing with the dish washer. Every 4-5 cycles I'll grab a bottle of spray Clorox/Lysol/409 cleaner and give the inside a good wetting down. I also keep the screen filter clean in the bottom. Next time I'm forced to buy a DW I'm getting one with a grinder. I never owned one, but I want one.

You know what else I want? I want a side by side fridge that makes ice machine ice, like at Sonic, or just the little bar ice makers. If you can get a little tiny ice maker to make that under the bar why the heck can't they put one in a side by side?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yea I am that tight.

My step mother in law (I call her Ma-in-law) is like that. She gets excited when we come by to make dinner for them every once in a while (she always cooks for family get togethers). I always prep dinner ingredients before we go, and I use a few extra ziplock bags to package stuff, just so that I can leave them for her to wash them, cause she will reuse foil, plastic forks, and especially ziplock bags.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't notice any of what you mention, but I do use the Cascade, so I'll try the Finish next time I buy DW soap.
I only notice that on ancient Reverewear copper clad pans. Everything else seems fine, just the dishwasher gets a little funky faster with it, So I just buy the Finish Ultimate/Platinum/whatever at Sams. They are a bit cheaper usually too.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I save foil and baggies and bread ties.
I even found I can reuse my canning lids after boiling them as long as there are no scratches in the coating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom