Laundry and dish washer detergent my observations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would share this with you good folks.
I usually use ALL Free and Clear to wash my clothing and No added fabric softeners or dryer sheets.
Towels wipe up water like mad and my dish rags do not get the sour smell until about a weeks worth of use.

Wife found some Tide Pods Spring Meadow and she said she likes the smell. She usually uses Gain original liquid.

Well something I noticed with the Tide Pods is the dish rag gets sour smell after 2 days.
I am thinking this stuff is not really cleaning as much as it is adding smelly good.

Now onto the dish detergent that you put into the dishwasher.

I like cascade powder and the wife bought some cascade liquid because the store was out of powder.
I noticed there were stuck on crunchies on plates and glasses when using the liquid.
Every time not just every now and then.
I do not like the liquid.

One more observation is with the addition of Jet Dry.
My stainless spoons knives and forks would have some rust color on them when using that Jet Dry.
I discovered that many years ago.
So just a heads up if you see rust and use that stuff . A few friends quit using it and the rust went away.

I am wondering if it is the reason my racks and the coated pins sticking up break apart and rust out.
Think about where is the rust coming from and will it lead to premature dishwasher failure.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can try some white distilled vinegar in your dish washer rinse.

Ps;

Cascade powder mixed with some hot water makes a great degreaser.

I tryed it cleaning up some chainsaw parts with that sticky bar oil on everything.

Made a believer out of me!

I quit using that anti bacterial soap, because I figure it will help kill the good bacteria that likes to munch on my poo in the septic system.

I just use ajax dish washing liquid in my soap dispensers at my sinks!

I try not to let any bleach go down my drains either.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plain old borax is one of the best laundry and dish detergents, at a fraction of the cost.. Unfortunately I got a high efficiency machine so I have to use liquid, but I used the unscented 7th generation or equivalent.

What makes those smells in detergents? Phthalates
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/what-are-phthalates
Also having met Swampratt I can confirm he doesn't stink despite not using Tide.

Tide theft actually fuels a whole underground economy. Why Are Criminals Stealing Tide Detergent and Using It for Money?

Smelling it on patients tends to indicate lower economic status, though not as low as smelling like urine and filth, although sometimes it's both.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would share this with you good folks.
I usually use ALL Free and Clear to wash my clothing and No added fabric softeners or dryer sheets.
Towels wipe up water like mad and my dish rags do not get the sour smell until about a weeks worth of use.

Wife found some Tide Pods Spring Meadow and she said she likes the smell. She usually uses Gain original liquid.

Well something I noticed with the Tide Pods is the dish rag gets sour smell after 2 days.
I am thinking this stuff is not really cleaning as much as it is adding smelly good.

Now onto the dish detergent that you put into the dishwasher.

I like cascade powder and the wife bought some cascade liquid because the store was out of powder.
I noticed there were stuck on crunchies on plates and glasses when using the liquid.
Every time not just every now and then.
I do not like the liquid.

One more observation is with the addition of Jet Dry.
My stainless spoons knives and forks would have some rust color on them when using that Jet Dry.
I discovered that many years ago.
So just a heads up if you see rust and use that stuff . A few friends quit using it and the rust went away.

I am wondering if it is the reason my racks and the coated pins sticking up break apart and rust out.
Think about where is the rust coming from and will it lead to premature dishwasher failure.

This is probably the ONLY thing I can honestly say I'm more thrifty than Swampratt on but..... I make my own laundry detergent.

Box of Borax
Box of Washing Soda
Couple of bars of Fels-Naptha or Zote. I throw in both.
tub of Oxi Clean

Lasts a LONG time.

I did this because all the other crap they put in most detergents except the regular Tide seem to make my wife's skin break out.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 20 Mule team Borax and have added it dry in the bottom of the HE washing machine.
I have also dissolved it in water and used it in my HE

I have a container of homemade also and used the Borax and the Naptha soap to make it.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A person could also shower outdoors in the ozone rich rain during a thunderstorm. That extra rich O3 should bleach out any foul odors you've accumulated between storms. Good luck dodging the lightning, though. That said, a good bolt of lightning would definitely sterilize a person completely ... and permanently. :coffee2:

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom