M1a chassis worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it worth putting a m1a in a chassis? If so which one? I have a national match springfield standard, maybe a loaded.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your National Match bedded and unitized?
I assume so on the bedded, I haven’t looked. I thought all national matches were. If it’s not…I got what I paid for… I’ll have to break it all open to actually look and verify what I actually have.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't know who built it, but assuming it is a "factory" National Match made to spec. A chassis will do nothing for you except add weight and bulk. Even with a rack grade rifle it's a crap shoot if accuracy will improve, but in all cases they will get porky! BTW if it is bedded don't be pulling it apart Everytime you go to clean it. And the few times you do take it apart it will need 20-30 rounds to seat it back in the bedding.

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your gas system should be unitized already. A chasis isn't going to help that much. The only improvement i can think of would be that the chassis won't flex when slinging down hard and for attaching things.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't know who built it, but assuming it is a "factory" National Match made to spec. A chassis will do nothing for you except add weight and bulk. Even with a rack grade rifle it's a crap shoot if accuracy will improve, but in all cases they will get porky! BTW if it is bedded don't be pulling it apart Everytime you go to clean it. And the few times you do take it apart it will need 20-30 rounds to seat it back in the bedding.

Springfield Armory factory rifle. It does have nm sights, will look more after work. Daughter is still asleep and the safe is in one of her closets :)

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, this thing is not a national match. Probably a Springfield loaded or standard. Leaning towards Standard. I’d be mad, but fits with the price I paid and bought it from an estate.

Guess I’ll see what she can do then go from there.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be doing nothing for now except shooting it after getting some better ammo. Bought it on a whim to eventually shoot some pigs.

I obviously need to learn more about the platform.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll be doing nothing for now except shooting it after getting some better ammo. Bought it on a whim to eventually shoot some pigs.

I obviously need to learn more about the platform.
I'll save you some time and greif. Get a basset machine scope mount if you plan to scope it. You really don't need to make it heavier by adding a chasis or bedding either. The unitized gas cyl really isn't needed either for your needs. The Nm sights are a good add on though. You can adjust the elev by .5 moa by turning the rear aperture. An adjustable gas plug will probably help accuracy. Enjoy your rifle

Latest posts

Top Bottom