M1a

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sniffles

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know the difference between a regular, national match, and super national match rifle, and how can you tell the difference by examining the rifle? I am considering a trade with an idividual and do not know much about these rifles. I am pretty sure he mentioned it was made in 2007 or 2008.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regular would be no bedding, easy to take apart, kind of loose and rattley. N.M. heavier barrel under the hand guard, bedding visible in mag well area, Hooded rear sight, thinner front sight, difficult to take apart and sholdn't be taken apart very often. SuperN.M. heavier stock, all dimensions visibly bigger than a standard or loaded or N.M. Rear lugged receiver (only visible unless taken apart...and shouldn't be taken apart very often) all other features of a N.M. KurtM

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regular would be no bedding, easy to take apart, kind of loose and rattley. N.M. heavier barrel under the hand guard, bedding visible in mag well area, Hooded rear sight, thinner front sight, difficult to take apart and sholdn't be taken apart very often. SuperN.M. heavier stock, all dimensions visibly bigger than a standard or loaded or N.M. Rear lugged receiver (only visible unless taken apart...and shouldn't be taken apart very often) all other features of a N.M. KurtM

Just a question?
Why should they not be taken apart? My lack of knoledge about MilSurp guns brings this about. I have an Arisaka restored, but thats another story. Wondering about this weapon, as I'm thinking of going the CMP route for another piece of our history.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a question?
Why should they not be taken apart? My lack of knoledge about MilSurp guns brings this about. I have an Arisaka restored, but thats another story. Wondering about this weapon, as I'm thinking of going the CMP route for another piece of our history.

It's all about the glass bedding, nothing more. It will loosen it up if you take it apart repeatedly. I don't know if this applies to other bedded guns, but the M14 receiver has a lot of "interface" down in the stock and it gets battered enough just by shooting it. My Springer's manual states to not break the action down unless really necessary for this reason.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a question?

D, Don't fret over the CMP guns, those M1 Garands they have are great, try to get a service grade or better, and enjoy yourself on the range!!!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Also make sure that if it has a N.M. barrel (stainless or carbon steel), a two-stage trigger, and no rear-hooded aperture, you're not being told that its a N.M. (its just a loaded).

Honestly, the Loaded is probably one of the best deals in the M1A world (IMHO) since I'm not a super-fan of the hooded NM pin-hole rear aperture anyways - but you do get all the other goodies except for the hooded rear aperture and fancier stock.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All M-1As have a two stage trigger. N.M. spec is just about 4.5 lbs stock is about 6 lbs. for pull weight. And yes taking them apart breaks down the bedding. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom