Magnified Eotec or 4x ACOG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a S&W M&P 15x Ar-15 and I currently have an Eotec 512 sight on it but I want something with a little more magnification. I have looked at the 3x and 4x magnifiers for the Eotec but they seem to move the sight picture to the right a little bit for some strange reason. Has anyone used this setup and if so how do you like it? Would it be as good as getting an ACOG or does the ACOG blow it out of the water? I like the versatility of the Eotec with the flip to side magnifier but am always a little hesitant of something that claims to do everything well. What are your thoughts?

Deacon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, never heard of the sight picture thing. Maybe it's in the mount?
My personal opinion: you already have the eotech, so get the magnifier.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the acogs I've used, but if you don't want the magnification (indoors?), you're stuck.

OR

Acog with top mounted 1x Docter optic? I know some people here have had those, maybe they'll weigh in with their input.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think i would get the magnifier. I also have a 512 on my AR and yes i know what you mean about wanting a little more from it. I haven't heard anything on the sight picture deal either so not sure there. Dont get me wrong acogs are excelent sights but cost as much or more as a magnified eotech setup. really depends on what you really want. i think versatility wise the eotech woul give you more options.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4x acog and love it but it is on my .308 AR, which I only use a mid range gun for hunting and shooting. For the setup you have I would go with a magnifier. ACOGs really are amazing, I would love to have a 1.5x model on a 5.56AR.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up an illuminated Leupold Mk 4 1.5-5x20 a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. It doesn't quite go down to true 1x like an Aimpoint or Eotech, but it gets pretty darn close.

Also quite a bit cheaper than an ACOG, if that matters. (I say cheaper; it's still an $800 optic)

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as Horty (already have an EOtech 512). I've decided to go with a magnifier w/flip-out mount. I was wanting to get some feedback on models that won't break the bank.

iriediver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
love my acog, X4 power with chevron. will not go back to my eotech. not selling it, just need a new ar to put it on. still have to buy my accuracy int stock for my 700 so new ar may be next year. acog acog acog, nuff said.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With EoTechs, my experience has been with 553s and 557s.

Currently I'm using 3X magnifiers and flip mounts with 557s.

For close work the magnifier is not needed, (nor is it desired) so it is swiveled out of the way.

When engaging targets beyond about 150m, the magnifier is nice to have.

I couldn't see enough difference between the 3x and 4x to opt for the 4x.

Unknown why you have such a different sight picture when switching to the magnifier unless it is not mounted correctly or your eye/optic position is different with it.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unknown why you have such a different sight picture when switching to the magnifier unless it is not mounted correctly or your eye/optic position is different with it.

The 512 is still a parallax free sight so once zero'd anything over 20-25m no matter how your cheek weld/eye relief changes where the red dot is on the sight is where the round is going. If the sight appears to be up and higher its still shooting where the dot is aiming. I would recommend the magnifier. I have had no problems engaging targets up to 600 yards with no magnifier with my 512 I would assume it would only make things easier.

Dont get me wrong I love ACOG's and think they are a very valuable tool however in a cqb environment they are not exactly ideal, while engagings targets in an enclosed room is still easily doable at those ranges the point and shoot method works well all you need to do is put the fuzzy red reticle over the target and you will hit a man sized target no problem. I submit to you that you could even do it shooting from the hip.

Is the purpose of your rifle home/zombie defense where you will most likely be using the sight as for faster target aquisition or are you using this weapon for plinking/target practice and fun?

Latest posts

Top Bottom