I got an interesting offer today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I checked my email inbox for my YouTube channel where I rebuild watches (Weekend Watch Repair). It's a new channel, and have had videos on there for a little over 2 months now. It doesn't have a large number of subscribers (compared to others), but I got a message today from a company wanting to do a 'collab' (their words). They offered to send me a free microscope if I'd be willing to do a product review and demonstration video. They said that they'd provide an Amazon affiliate link where I'd earn a commission from any sales, and would provide a discount code for my subscribers.

I found it quite interesting, but when I went to look at the type of microscope they wanted me to review, it was honestly more of an inspection microscope, one of the ones with a single lens and an attached LCD monitor. It only records up to 1080P, and while I think it could serve a purpose for electronics inspection, watch inspections, etc., you really cannot work underneath it. The setup I currently use is much nicer, and I don't really think that I could find any use for their product.

I don't want people to think that I'm trying to just sell some random piece of junk to them when they watch my videos, so I think I'll politely decline their offer. It's just not something that I think I'd personally use, so I don't really see how I could, in good conscience, demo it to people who watch my channel. I could possibly see it being used by a hobbyist watchmaker who strictly uses loupes, or other types of magnification for their work, and they could use something like this to get the higher magnification when inspecting things like jewels and pivots. Some people may be fine with using it like that, but since you can't really work underneath it, it can really only be used for a very limited number of things.

Here's a snippet from their email to me:

We will offer you:
1. The item we collaborated on will offer one free for you , and if you post an Amazon Affiliate link of these products under video on YouTube, you can get the correct Affiliate commission from Amazon .
2. I can offer a discount code for your fans.
3.Our company *deleted* sells a lot of great products, we have a lot of product promotions every month, at least 10 every month.
4.You will have the priority to be our brand influencer.
5.Our company is in a stage of rapid development, we are constantly researching and developing lots of new products, we hope that we can become long-term partners.
What we need:
1.Making a product details video and sharing it on your YouTube Channel.
2.The video focuses on explaining the function of the product and how to use it, this should be very useful to the audience.
3.Video review needs include an Amazon link .

It goes on for a bit after that. I suppose I could tell them I'd be willing to do it, but if I don't like the product I'd be honest in my review. They may have second thoughts then! To be professional though, I think just explaining to them that my current setup is a bit more capable (albeit more expensive than theirs), and I don't see where I'd get any use from it, so I'll politely decline. You never know though, I could do it and get 2 or 3 people to use that link over the next few months and I may make enough cash to buy me lunch for a day! haha!

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t realize I’d been working with a celebrity! 😂
I think you’re making the right decision while I also understand not wanting to burn bridges in the process. What do you think about expressing your concerns and asking them to share their thoughts? If they can’t reasonably endorse their own product to you then they certainly can’t expect you to do it on your channel. On the other hand who knows what they might share which could make you comfortable with their product.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t realize I’d been working with a celebrity! 😂
I think you’re making the right decision while I also understand not wanting to burn bridges in the process. What do you think about expressing your concerns and asking them to share their thoughts? If they can’t reasonably endorse their own product to you then they certainly can’t expect you to do it on your channel. On the other hand who knows what they might share which could make you comfortable with their product.
Hardly a celebrity, and Lord help me I don’t want to be either. The only thing you ever see in my videos is the watch and my hands!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This right here.
5.Our company is in a stage of rapid development, we are constantly researching and developing lots of new products, we hope that we can become long-term partners.

Tell them the item they want you to demonstrate just will not cut it for the way you work and ask them since they are a company in rapid stage of development maybe they could make something comparable to what you actually use. Something you can work underneath.

Tell them You do not need another one like you use but would be glad to test one if they build one
and you will do a demonstration video with it.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work as a microscopist in a haz mat testing lab. I attended McCrone Research Institute in Chicago to learn TEM and SEM electron microscope and fiber analysis and other materials microscope analysis.
I had a couple of nice Nikon scopes and a big Meiji disecting scope and all had photomicrography cameras. Awesome tools. I got really good at it and even competed in the annual Nikon Small World photography contest

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell them exactly how you feel and what you think of the product.

Your integrity is everything.

Let them know you are willing to examine, test and evaluate their product, but it will be an honest evaluation.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@thor447 To many genuine people fall to the "sell your soul for the cheap ass product". Just about every YouTuber I follow has at one time or another.

If a product is legit and worth it, by all means pimp it to your hearts content.

Kudos man. Keep up the good work

Latest posts

Top Bottom