Magpul Trigger Guards and some cool new FDE plastic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a pic of a Magpul trigger guard in a catalog and it has a Magpul symbol stamped on the bottom of it - I checked out my Magpul winter trigger guard and it didn't have the symbol. Called up my pops and asked him about the Magpul trigger guard on my old M&P and he said it didn't have the Magpul symbol on it either.

Then I noticed that the MOE trigger guard is different than the Winter Trigger guard (and that its plastic - I didn't even know Magpul made a plastic trigger guard aside from the one that's attached to the front of the MIAD.

For some strange reason, I'd rather have the cool Magpul symbol on the bottom of it, but I was wondering - what's the advantage of aluminum over Plastic or visa versa?

Also, I thought Magpul made the coolest plastic stuff around until I got my VLTO EMOD in today - its heavy, but man its cool (thing is tighter than an ugly girl on prom night right now - hoping that it gets easier to adjust the stock with some break in). I'd love to compare it to a UBR, or an M93B to see how it compares, but I'm loving it so far (no rattles due to the tightness, but it makes for a serious workout to change the stock to a different position).

Oh - I now have a Vickers Padded to compare to my Viking VTAC and there's no comparison in that the Vickers is definitely better quality. I've gotten to handle each separately, but having them side by side, it shows. The VTAC definitely allows for a shorter adjustment (and when using as a 2-point sling with a side-mount right before and behind the receiver, a short sling is preferred), so I'll probably keep the VTAC for my youngest son's AR since he's smaller.

Can't wait to get my LaRue Stealth Upper in. I had to order a few more things today, and everything should be done by mid-next week. I haven't even finished my oldest's Remington 700 build and I've already gotten distracted with two youth bows and a bow for me, and this AR build.

Too many toys, not enough time.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i would think the only differences between the metal and plastic would be #1 strength of the part, which shouldn't be much of a concern since it's thick enough plastic to stand up to it's intended purpose. and #2 would be the finish wearing of the part, the metal will show scratches and signs of wear a lot quicker than the plastic will.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a VLTOR EMOD nd it was nice, but no where built like the Magpul M93b I had. The weight of both was more than I wanted on a carbine. I have been thinking of picking up MOE trigger guard for my Colt 6921 since I have always loved the Winter Trigger Guard. Vickers slings are deffinetly the best in my limited experience but one rides on my Go To carbine and will live on my M1A SOCOM if there is a way to do it.

BTW, you got a disease that I have too!

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for Magpul...I have a CTR stock, and the metal trigger guard...and the MOE grip. I'm still shopping for a sling....is the Vickers sling a single point? I was leaning towards the Magpul sling but am open to suggestions.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vickers is not a single point.
I also recently got a Viking to compare to my Vickers and like you there was no comparison. You are spot on in that the Vickers does not shorten quite enough.

I'm a sucker for Magpul...I have a CTR stock, and the metal trigger guard...and the MOE grip. I'm still shopping for a sling....is the Vickers sling a single point? I was leaning towards the Magpul sling but am open to suggestions.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C'mon OlYeller - I get most of my toys from you (or improved by you) :D

I don't mind the weight of the EMOD over the CTR - the CTR is about as light as you can get in a decent-quality stock, but I'm digging the storage of the EMOD and its feel is pretty nice as well.

I just ordered a full MIAD for my son's build to get him the trigger guard that comes with that kit before I realized that I could get an MOE trigger guard, so I won't be trying an MOE out for a while.

I'm pretty stoked about this new build though. I still need a front Iron sight for my son and I'm not sure if I want to go with a fixed or do flips and get him a magnified optic on there for hunting.

I've seriously been considering going back to irons, but I'm not 100% sure that's the way to go for now with my eyes not being perfect (especially in dusk/dawn lighting conditions) since I use my rig to hunt with.

The more I use this Vickers on my setup, the more I'm digging it. The adjustment on the VTAC is very simple, but it still takes two different places to adjust it in/out. The Vickers is just super-simple.

I ordered the Tango Down QD rear attachment point, so I'll be able to tell how the Vickers does as a make-shift single-point since the TD has a QD connector on left/right and back sides of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom