making hollow points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
has any one used a case trimmer to make a hollow point bullet, i have some 45-70 bullets 405 grain want to cut the weight down to 300 grains thanks

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple HP bullet dies.
And I've made one or two.
They work okay.

If you're gonna try shaving some down in a highpower be careful about wieght discrepentcies.
I'd suggest wieghing each of them to keep them within tolerance, but I don't reccomend it.
You'd be on your own, not sure this is something I'd try.
Start your loads off light and work up, keeping an eye open for pressure signs.
I'd suggest just buying something first to experiment with.
Keep your 405 for serious stuff.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with the case trimmer i can set it up to bore the bullets all exactly the same , have digital scale to check weight, will use loading manual for loads have been reloading for 40 yrs , thanks for reply

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've used a drill press with a depth gauge to HP some 405gr casts, they shot the same and couldn't tell any difference in performance. I cant remember how many grains I removed, about 40 if I remember right. I build a wooden two piece block with a hole slightly smaller than .458 and clamped the two pieces together to hold the bullet while drilling. Looked like a barnes HP muzzelloader bullet when drilled out. Loaded to trapdoor pressures.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't ever done it but I'm interested in your results.

Do you have a trimmer with a drill insert or making one yourself or ?

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
blitzfike, it seems to have trouble centering the hole,might not be bad for a pistol, but for a rifle the hole needs better alinement for accracy , hmifc, i have a lathe going to make drill same size dia. as large primer to fit my case trimmer, if i want the bullet to really expand i can seat a primer in the hollow point hole

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did that with 58 caliber mini bals back in the 70's, even put a little black powder under the primer. At best we could see a little puff of smoke.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom