Marine Corps adopts new 5.56 round in Afghanistan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea on that manufacturer of the projectile itself? I tried to find more info on it but didn't come up with anything.
Well, this part of the article led me to believe it might be Federal
according to Navy Department documents. At 62 grains, they weigh about the same as most NATO rounds, have a typical lead core with a solid copper shank and are considered a variation of Federal Cartridge Co.’s Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw round, which was developed for big-game hunting and is touted in a company news release for its ability to crush bone.
Of course that doesn't mean they didn't contract it out to another manufacturer so I'm not sure.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I forget how large the ATK family is now. I tried looking up the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw on Speer's website but it appears that it's been discontinued.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I read an Army / Navy Times article, I want to put someone's head through the wall.

Seriously, you'd think these people would be able to get something right at least once?

Needs to be more accurate because of the SCAR's shorter barrel? C'mon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom