Marlin Scout Rifle Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might be about to get my hands on a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 (since nobody is buying lever guns at the moment) and I've been considering how to set it up. What I'm considering installing is Brockman's 'winged' front and rear sights with an XS scout mount topped by a Leupold 2.5 scout scope. BTW, I have ZERO experience with scout scope setups and I not really sure if I want to go that way or not. Has anyone tried anything similar? Would anyone care to offer an opinion?

Thanks,

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess technically it isn't a Guide Gun because it's the 1895GBL which has the big loop, 6 shot magazine, 18.5" barrel, and a pistol grip. I have never really liked Marlin lever guns, until this one, because I've always preferred Winchester's aesthetics. But I handled one of these the other night, and I really liked it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a 336 youth model, and a 1894c that will be turned into scout platform. Both will be getting the XS sights an rail, with a LER scope. Plus a butt cuff holding eight rounds each, an a sling.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like a micro red dot with that type of setup... like an Aimpoint T1, or for the more budget-minded, a Bushnell TRS-25. That setup keeps the light weight and great handling characteristics of the rifle. Plus a red dot is very fast to get on target, and is a great complement to a quick-pointing brush gun like that.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have anything to add, but as far as aesthetics yes the Winny is prettier. But the Marlin wil feel much better when shooting and handling IMHO.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry about posting and then abandoning the thread. My employer seems to have gotten the idea that I was spending to much time going home and getting a good night’s sleep. So they found some work to keep me busy for a few days. But on the positive side the OT does help pay for the toys.

Actually, I have a couple of Aimpoint H-1 sights mounted on rifles already, but frankly, I didn’t connect the dots (pun intended) and even consider a red dot because I was so focused on looking at forward mounted scopes. I appreciate all the comments, and I guess I should maybe rethink my options a little. Maybe getting a little more flexible by choosing the XS Lever Rail, instead of the Scope mount and the Brockman rear sight, would be a good idea. There are almost too many choices, but, that’s what makes it fun I guess.

My concerned was, is if I’d like the forward mounted scope concept or not, because I’ve never tried one. It sounds like, based on what I’ve read that guys either love it or hate it without many opinions in between. I guess the only way to decide would be for me to try it and find out if I would like it.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I sure love the forward mounted red dot on my newly completed FR-8 scout rifle, especially since it co-witnesses with the irons. FYI, I used an XS scout mount on it, and it is good to go. Great customer service, too. I would recommend them to anybody.
i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_FR_8scout2_zps845fbaf3.jpg