Massive Explosion in China

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any communication from them?

No, but I think 300 miles is a safe distance. Just a little too close for comfort when they're half way around the world. They are in Dalian, directly across the gulf.

I was chastised about the size of China when I asked where they were from the earthquake a while back. But this is a LOT closer!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, but I think 300 miles is a safe distance. Just a little too close for comfort when they're half way around the world. They are in Dalian, directly across the gulf.

I was chastised about the size of China when I asked where they were from the earthquake a while back. But this is a LOT closer!

Just wondered if they had passed along any information they had heard from there.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in-photos-the-aftermath-of-the-massive-explosion-the-chinese-city-of-tianjin-body-image-1439424368.jpg

in-photos-the-aftermath-of-the-massive-explosion-the-chinese-city-of-tianjin-body-image-1439424023.jpg

in-photos-the-aftermath-of-the-massive-explosion-the-chinese-city-of-tianjin-body-image-1439423551.jpg

in-photos-the-aftermath-of-the-massive-explosion-the-chinese-city-of-tianjin-body-image-1439423370.jpg

img.theepochtimes.com_n3_eet_content_uploads_2015_08_13_APTOPIX_China_Port_Ex_Tzok.jpg

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have been traced to a warehouse at the port which was reportedly storing "dangerous and chemical goods". The building is owned by Tianjin Dongjiang Port Ruihai International Logistics. But it is not clear yet what triggered the explosion.

Before the explosions, many of the fire-fighters were already at the scene trying to control a fire, AFP reports.

Uncertainty over how much of this hazardous material was still at the site led to a temporary suspension of firefighting on Thursday morning.

State news agency Xinhua said in the afternoon that four fires were still burning and roads leading to the blast site had not been completely cleared.

Reuters reported that according to a 2014 government assessment, the Ruihai facility was designed to store chemicals including butanone, an explosive industrial solvent, sodium cyanide and compressed natural gas.

It is not known yet what exactly caused the blast, but Chinese media said that at least one member of Ruihai staff had been arrested.

Earlier in August, local work safety officials had met with companies from various industries to discuss the handling of dangerous chemicals, according to a notice posted on a Tianjin government website.

Media in China have reported that one of the warehouses that was destroyed may have stored a number of toxic chemicals, including sodium cyanide and toluene diisocyanate, said to be "extremely toxic" even after short-term exposure to humans.

China's official state news agency, Xinhua, said on Thursday that drains from Tianjin to the Bohai sea - a gulf in the Yellow Sea - had been closed "to stem chemical leak".

Latest posts

Top Bottom