May be AWOL for a bit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other thing... compared to dialup, this is lighning fast.

When downloading files on dialup, the speed usually ran 3-4 kbps. The best I recall was around 5.6 kbps or so, and that was only once.

The Hotspot connects at 72 kbps. :shocked:
:drunk2:
I worked with 1200 baud modems over dialup phone lines to take a download from Seattle to Tinker for Boeing for their access control panel. It took over 8 hours. I had to sit there and listen to the static and bleeps and blurps. Oh, and when someone accidently picked up the phone and punched my line after 6 hours in I was fit to be tied. Even after warning all of them not to touch that line. I fixed em. I took of the connector wires to their PBX 66 block so they couldn't touch it again. After the third attempt at download went through, I punched it back down. From then on it was protocol to unhook the phones during a download.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure whether me an' this thing are on good terms yet...

I run an older version of Zone Alarm. Turns out, I can't start ZA until I'm connected to the hotspot, or I get "limited or no activity."

And of course, it couldn't tell me why. So that's another half hour of hit & miss hair-pullin' I'll never get back. D:

Anywho... so far, it works great when all the ducks are lined up.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... turns out the hit & miss is all miss now. The security first got flaky as a breakfast cereal, then stopped working altogether. I've rebooted both the computer and the phone multiple times.

Is there a way on the phone to choose/limit which clients can log on to the hotspot?

Lol, 30 years of computer experience beat down by a 3"x6" piece of plastic.

EDIT: I just now "hid" my device (phone), so alledgedly no one can connect without knowing the name of the hotspot. Best I know to do at this point. :anyone:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... turns out the hit & miss is all miss now. The security first got flaky as a breakfast cereal, then stopped working altogether. I've rebooted both the computer and the phone multiple times.

Is there a way on the phone to choose/limit which clients can log on to the hotspot?

Lol, 30 years of computer experience beat down by a 3"x6" piece of plastic.

EDIT: I just now "hid" my device (phone), so alledgedly no one can connect without knowing the name of the hotspot. Best I know to do at this point. :anyone:
Two things I've seen with cell phones.

1. Your app that was working fine all last year no longer works because you have not:
Updated your phone
Updated your app after you updated your phone

2. Your app that was working fine all last year no longer works because you have:
Updated your app before updating your phone
Updated your phone

Remember updates, KP's, in Windows that added several 3rd world countries to it's communication protocols that wiped out existing computers communications to their hosts? That little update cost millions of companies billions of dollars in service because we had to roll back all the computers to their previous service packs.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two things I've seen with cell phones.

1. Your app that was working fine all last year no longer works because you have not:
Updated your phone
Updated your app after you updated your phone

2. Your app that was working fine all last year no longer works because you have:
Updated your app before updating your phone
Updated your phone

Remember service packs in Windows that added several 3rd world countries to it's communication protocols that wiped out existing computers communications to their hosts? That little update cost millions of companies billions of dollars in service because we had to roll back all the computers to their previous service packs.
Lol, you probably hit it on both counts. :D

1. I had tried the SP3 update before, and it slowed down some stuff to a crawl, so I uninstalled it but kept the installation file. It did the same thing this time, so I'm gonna ditch it again (I could already connect to the hotspot unsecured before the update).

2. The phone updated itself this afternoon, INCLUDING SOME SECURITY FEATURES. So betwixt the two, my old XP probably didn't stand a chance. :D

Thanks for the reply.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the saga continues... :D

I uninstalled SP3, and did a restore back to before the installation. The hotspot worked (without security), but the connection was a bit flaky when hiding the hotspot name.

So... I found a Wifi update for SP2 this morning, and installed it. Still have to connect unsecured, but have had no problems with hiding the hotspot name.

So far, so good...

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually a bit more good news...

I've always kept Zone Alarm where it would seriously clamp down on Windows internet access, because a lot of that stuff don't actually need it anyway, and every hole that can be plugged helps deter hackers, virii & such.

Turns out that one process I've had clamped off for years ("Generic Host process for Win32 Services") actually needs server capability for the wifi security to work. So apparently I'm my own worst enemy. :D

Anywho... I've been logged onto the hotspot securely all afternoon with ZA running and no hiccups.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what any of that means ... Lol
It means I was more/less a computer guru around the turn of the century... and like so many other things, those days have passed. :D

I probably need to start a thread with questions about cell phones and other new-fangled internet related stuff. Called our daughter today on the new phone, and she said, "Welcome to the 21st century."

Feel kinda like Rodney Dangerfield... I get no respect. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom