No More US Cellular

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once I got all our devices connected it slowed down considerably. During peak periods I was getting 20-30 mb.

That's odd because their little gateway box has wifi 6 that's actually pretty good. It was probably how far away from that gateway your devices were. I did notice a speed drop if I moved away from the gateway, but if you were in the same room or the next, it cranked. I bought a Deco Mesh system to alleviate that and can get good wifi out in the garage or the shed in the back of my backyard and everywhere in between now.

My location is sort of unique, I had 5 towers around me and it was always switching off (that's by design and actually works seamlessly). I live in a pretty congested area (probably a dozen large apartment complexes around me within one mile) and I think everybody got wise to how good a deal T-Mobile internet was. It trounces Cox in performance and price, then you get no data caps. I'm sure that's what my issue was. I'm also pretty convinced that they are the cream of the crop in 5G, My cell phone is still with them.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used AT&T since I got my first cell phone. I even get great coverage on the Illinois River. I'm still rockin my latest one bought way back when Galaxy S8 plus came out. Battery stays charged for over a 2 days and I still get updates from Samsung. Some of ya'll have bad luck on the draw with a lot of things....sorry.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really think the problem is like @Shadowrider says, it was just too popular. This causes overloading of the towers. This makes it really hard on towers US Cellular and T Mobil don't own. AT&T towers sell their bandwidth AT&T is not using to T and US. However, it is AT&T's tower and they get priority over their leases. Some calls just get bumped.

US Cellular brags on the fact they don't own or maintain the towers. THis tells me they get secondary bandwidth when available.

AT&T also has a first responder plan that prioritizes first responder phones and equipment.
Just the opposite with ATT. Will never go back to them ever

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the past 3 months my US Cellular cell service and internet has gone from really good to really horrible. I started working with them about a month ago to find a resolution...nothing worked. Last week my average download/upload speeds were in the range of about 1.5-4/.04-1.2 Mbps. I finally got an explanation (though I have no idea of whether or not it's the right explanation) that with the termination of 3G lots of people who shouldn't have been affected, were. This occurred in mostly rural areas with marginal service in the first place. They haven't been able to determine what the problem is. Obviously I'm not gonna pay for service that bad.

US Cellular was pretty good about the early termination. Just send us the phones and modem back and they'll waive all the fees.

I did a trial with T-Mobile and it's working out really well. Far, far better cell service at the house and saving around $40 month with better plans. The "Geezer" (55+ plans) even include Netflix, Apple TV and a year of AAA roadside service. Internet speeds are blazing fast.

The girl we worked with in the T-Mobile store in Ada said the rumor is T-Mobile is buying US Cellular. Apparently that's true though I don't think anything is finalized yet. I've never had service with T-Mobile before but so far the experience has been very positive.
I quit using T-mobile after 17 years because they decided that they'd rather screw me over than solve a problem for me. Good luck!

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I see where TMobile has a Network pass for 90 days that allows you to compare without switching carriers. I've been satisfied with Verizon but may have to compare. Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a decent IPhone 13? I think I'm buying my dad the IPhone 15 tomorrow and may upgrade my 14 Pro to 15 Pro.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit using T-mobile after 17 years because they decided that they'd rather screw me over than solve a problem for me. Good luck!

I don't live in the city with numerous options for phone and internet service. T-Mobile and US Cellular are it. T-Mobile works. US Cellular doesn't. It makes the choice pretty easy. And it's cheaper than US Cellular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom