Media misrepresents Heartland Outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to see some sort of hybrid carry. The one major thing I have against CC is that a lot of times you have to compromise on the type of weapon you carry due to having to conceal it. My best handguns don't conceal well and the ones that do lack in accuracy and capacity. I'd love to be able to carry a full sized hand gun outside the pants. I'm sure the holster companies would be against the open carry.

Hybrid Conceal= Covering up "to your best ability" that which is not covered by a holster.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I am opposed to open carry in every instance. However, I do think there are some circumstances where open carry could be justified and acceptable. You can open carry when hunting with a rifle or shotgun. Why not it be acceptable when actually hunting with a hand gun?

However, that is where I would draw the line. I also think that training and certification [read this, as in requiring a permit] is a must. My reasons are mostly political. We exist in some state of political balance when it comes to gun laws and CCW laws. What I mean by balance is that there are lines that either side of these issue generate great political heat. And political heat generates potential political changes in the current status quo.

You eliminate the requirement for a permit and you open the door for those with legitimate concerns for the nut cases being able to "much easier" gain access to weapons. I will admit that in the current state of our society, I simply don't want any and every Tom, Dick and Harry toting a handgun. There are just to many nutcases out there that give them a gun and they pop a cork and we have a huge mess on our hands.

Anyone that thinks that won't stir the anti-gun ownership crowd into a frenzy simply isn't dealing with a full deck. Why do we want to allow something that has the potential to dramatically increase the anti-gun political heat?

On the issue of training, I think it is a very good idea as well. While the current training might be next to worthless, maybe what we need to do is look for ways to improve it instead of doing away with it.

I am 69 years old. I have been hunting/fishing since I was 6/7 years old. I have always had guns. I grew up in a gun-club family. We stocked the Panhandle with pheasants and quail back in the late 40s and 50s. I always promoted setting aside a small acreage for pheasant to safely live and hatch each and every year. All my friends, neighbors and family were hunters. We were all gun people and hunters.

You go back to where I grew up and it is a different place today. Currently I live in OKC and most of my neighbors, I would not want to be close to them when someone put a gun in their hands. They have to clue about gun safety. People in these metropolitan areas are mostly clueless when it comes to guns and gun safety.

Why would anyone want to create an atmosphere where people with no gun knowledge, no gun expertise and certainly not gun safe could get a weapon this morning with no background checks and start open carrying this afternoon.

You put open carrying in the hands of the masses with no checks and balances and we are in big political trouble in a big hurry.

You do what some propose and you start losing people like myself in your gun rights campaigns. I support the NRA and other gun rights groups. You start putting the untrained and nutcases on the streets with guns and you lose me and all the others like me.

So, sometimes we need to hope we don't get exactly what we ask for.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am totally for open carry, I remember in Wisconsin there weren't OC'ers getting gunned down because they were a priority target. i mean if you wanted to rob a place wouldnt you think that the criminal would have at least a second thought about the guy on the side with a gun on his hip? And to the training part, I think it should be encouraged but not required. Would I prefer a person to be trained with a firearm, yes, but because he doesnt have training should he not be able to protect him self as Diesel stated. And all these laws being so restrictive on our rights with firearms are an infringement on our constitutional rights.

”To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.”
~Wilson v. State

There have been too many incidents of criminals NOT thinking before they leap for that idea to float. They generally rush in without looking...even in the presence of armed guards...and may not see an openly armed person until they prone everybody out and then they might see your weapon and shoot you in the back. In only a few incidents of actual bank robberies while I was on duty: #1. An operator called dispatch at 0300 to tell us she had a caller on the line from inside a bank branch who wanted to know what time the bank opened. He had broken a door out to get in before he realized the bank was closed. (Yep, high on meth.) #2. After the same branch closed for the day at 1700 and locked down the doors the armed guard stood inside while a car pulled up...driver jumped out and pulled on a watch cap mask and ran over and tugged on the doors and then asked the guard to let him in. #3. Two Orcs ran in and robbed another bank and tripped the alarm and then walked outside and got in their car with a patrol car parked 20 feet away.
My point in this rambling is that criminals seldom have a rhyme or reason for how they do things. It's just my personal opinion, but I carry concealed so the surprise is on the bad guys part. :uhh:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I am opposed to open carry in every instance. However, I do think there are some circumstances where open carry could be justified and acceptable. You can open carry when hunting with a rifle or shotgun. Why not it be acceptable when actually hunting with a hand gun?

However, that is where I would draw the line. I also think that training and certification [read this, as in requiring a permit] is a must. My reasons are mostly political. We exist in some state of political balance when it comes to gun laws and CCW laws. What I mean by balance is that there are lines that either side of these issue generate great political heat. And political heat generates potential political changes in the current status quo.

You eliminate the requirement for a permit and you open the door for those with legitimate concerns for the nut cases being able to "much easier" gain access to weapons. I will admit that in the current state of our society, I simply don't want any and every Tom, Dick and Harry toting a handgun. There are just to many nutcases out there that give them a gun and they pop a cork and we have a huge mess on our hands.

Anyone that thinks that won't stir the anti-gun ownership crowd into a frenzy simply isn't dealing with a full deck. Why do we want to allow something that has the potential to dramatically increase the anti-gun political heat?

On the issue of training, I think it is a very good idea as well. While the current training might be next to worthless, maybe what we need to do is look for ways to improve it instead of doing away with it.

I am 69 years old. I have been hunting/fishing since I was 6/7 years old. I have always had guns. I grew up in a gun-club family. We stocked the Panhandle with pheasants and quail back in the late 40s and 50s. I always promoted setting aside a small acreage for pheasant to safely live and hatch each and every year. All my friends, neighbors and family were hunters. We were all gun people and hunters.

You go back to where I grew up and it is a different place today. Currently I live in OKC and most of my neighbors, I would not want to be close to them when someone put a gun in their hands. They have to clue about gun safety. People in these metropolitan areas are mostly clueless when it comes to guns and gun safety.

Why would anyone want to create an atmosphere where people with no gun knowledge, no gun expertise and certainly not gun safe could get a weapon this morning with no background checks and start open carrying this afternoon.

You put open carrying in the hands of the masses with no checks and balances and we are in big political trouble in a big hurry.

You do what some propose and you start losing people like myself in your gun rights campaigns. I support the NRA and other gun rights groups. You start putting the untrained and nutcases on the streets with guns and you lose me and all the others like me.

So, sometimes we need to hope we don't get exactly what we ask for.

I vehemently disagree with this. It isn't in line with the second amendment.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This store is going to lose some business over this, mine included.

are you serious, so you think heartland outdoors who has said they are for open carry should fire a guy with 30 plus LEO experience because of his views on open carry, when he carries himself.... that is the only solution according to you, either they lose your (and other peoples) business or they fire a guy because of a personal view to gain your business..... you people on here make an emotional woman on menopause look calm compared to the emotionally driven responses i see here...

also how many businesses that you go to a daily basis have every single employee pro OC.... ZERO, so everyone here should not shop anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom