Memories of past 4th of July

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe this Fourth, will be my 48th....where do the years go.??!!

Having time to reflect back on past Fourths, many memories flood my mind.
People, food, family outings, fireworks, friends, girlfriends.....the list of memories past goes on and on.

One of my earliest memories...My Granddad wanted to buy a pair of new Tony Lama boots at Langstons in Packin' Town. So, he takes me with him to OKC for a Granddad/Grandson outing. I must have been 6 or 7 years old...at most...1969/70?

Getting off the interstate, going over the bridge of the North Canadian/Oklahoma River...at the South end of the bridge on the East side of the road was a firecracker stand. I looked at that firecracker stand like a hungry dog looking at a bone.
My Granddad didn't say a word and drove on to Langstons to get those Tony Lamas.

After the purchase of the boots and lunch, it was time to head back to Chandler. I had forgot about the firecracker stand. Driving North on Agnew,we approached the stand and my old Granddad pulled in.

Looking at the rows of fireworks, dazzeled and amazed, I didn't know what to say. The lady working the stand asked what I wanted. Perplexed, she started to explain what each one did and what was safe for a youngster like me. Well, my Granddad caught wind of this lady helping me and told her in certain and determined wording, no Grandson of his was going to get or shoot those sissy, pantywaste fireworks!!
He demanded to know where the blackcats amd popbottle rockets were at!!!
The lady fearing for my safety started to explain the safety issues .....when my Granddad told her he wanted $20 bucks of each....blackcats and popbottle rockets....nothin'else!!! The 4th was in a few days, and my Granddad wanted me to have the best....well, maybe the most dangerous for a 7 year old....but the best.

Let me tell you.....that fourth was one of the best. My Grandad baby sat me and 4 of my cousins...a little older than me and they brought their own fireworks.
Granddad was in the living room asleep by 10:00am....resting his eyes, as he called it.
My cousins and I blew up those big, red ant piles. Threw fireworks at each other and shot bottle rockets on the roof of his house, at each other, and into the creek.
By 3:00 that afternoon, I couldn't hear and my fingers were so sore from holding and trying to throw those quick fuse blackcats.

Here's to you Grand Dad.....there will never be another like you and never another 1st time, to shoot fireworks on my own. Many Fourths have come and gone and I have done some crazy things, but I always think of you amd those blackcats amd pop bottle rockets!!! Kids.....cousins.....no school...no worries.....fireworks...what a memory.

Cohiba

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's also the Granddad who let me and my cousins chew Bull of the Woods amd Cotton Boll
The only two chewing tobaccos he would chew. Let me tell you what, thank goodness I could handle
those tobaccos at an early age. I had a cousin...hmmm..maybe 8 or 9 years old, that thought he was
going to show ol' Cohiba how to chew tobacco.
What my cousin didn't know, was that I had been chewing that all summer and was use to it.
Yep...you read correctly....USE TO IT.
My cousin poped that Cotton Boll in his mouth and started to look like a dog with a bad case of rabies.
His mouth was foaming.....yes, foaming. My cousin thought he was slick, and didn't want to spit
it out in front of little cousins....so he walked around the house and barn like a proud fightin'
chicken. My cousin though he was tough....but the Cotton Boll was tougher.

About the only way I can explain it...well, it looked like a container of cottage cheese exploded
out of his mouth. He, fell to his knees....maybe to pray..and then it looked like he was spraying
mustard out of his mouth. Me and my other cousins though it was mustard until we got a wiff
of that smell. Heck, the coondogs couldn't take it amd they ran back to the house to hide under
the front porch.

We had to carry my cousin back to the house. I and my other cousins started to cry because we knew Granddad was going to bust our azzes for stealin' his tobacco and not asking. The minds of 7-10 year olds,
go figure.

Granddad wasn't mad....he thought it taught my 10 year old cousin a lesson ....on trying to be vain
and trying to show us up and also on stealing his tobacco!!!
Cohiba

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare. And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin', chasin' down a hoodoo there. A chasin' down a hoodoo there.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was the coolest!!! When I was about 2-3 years old, he was asleep on the couch. He had his farm clothes on and took off his boots. Well, one of his socks had a hole in it. A hole big enough to let his little toe stick out.

I must have been 2-3 years old, the age when you get a full set of teeth and are learning how to use them.
I was playing in the house and spotted that little toe stickin' out. I must have looked like a bird pulling a worm out of the ground.
I clamped my new teeth on that toe and proceeded to pull that thing out of his sock!!!
I knew my Grandad was a Marine in WWII, but the words out of his mouth proved it!!

My parents and Grandmother about wet themselves laughing. Guess what, for some ....unknown....well maybe know reason.....he NEVER had a hole in his socks again!!!
Cohiba

Edgar Derby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well thanks for making me miss my Grandpa ya ahole lol. My Grandpa would also give me chew(the kind with the Indian on it) and cigars(the kind with the chick with the big boobs on the box) and let me play dominoes with all his old timer buddies. Good times. Thanks for the reminding me about em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom