Mercy Hospital layoffs/furloughs. Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know 4 with the Covid. Two died within 14 days of each other. Husband and wife both gone. Their daughter got it and rode it out at home. Husband, my friend currently has it and is not doing well.

Sucks. My shop partner came down with it. After a weekend of moving tools, he called and told me he caught a positive diagnosis. Halfway through a two week quarantine the health dept asked me to do. I feel fine. He was doing good until Sunday, took a sudden turn for the worse. He's gone radio silent. No idea how he's doing. Knew an ex girlfriends dad that caught it up where you are. His fight was dire, but he pulled through.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why the full impact later this year? I thought the economy would be picking up and folks getting back to work.
I am guessing that the payments from insurances, and medicare etc. are often 60 or 90 days out from care. Low patient visits/procedures/surgeries etc. now will be felt in the 60-90 day time frame.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Also, the cafeterias,gift shop,coffee shop and flower shop are shut down to the public. I can’t imagine these being huge sources of income but still sources.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that we don’t know who’s ill and who isn’t and we never will at this rate.
Let us know the next time you change your mind.

People are ill all the time with all kinds of contagious stuff and they are walking amongst us. Are you suggesting that we all need some kinda virus detection devices implanted inside us that transmits data to the health officals at the central party every hour? Come on man! They ain't all bad!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why the full impact later this year? I thought the economy would be picking up and folks getting back to work.

Healthcare receipts are usually 30-90 days behind, but even though we got the Paycheck Protection Program money to help keep our staff on, it wasn't enough. We have had to borrow against future earnings to try to make it through. We took an early payment of Medicare funds for Q3 based on previous earnings. So we won't get ANY Medicare reimbursement during that quarter, and if we don't produce at the same level we did, we will have it taken out of future earnings.

Visits are starting to pick back up now, and if we get back to our normal 100% level by June, we might be ok. But Q3 is going to be 50% or more down in collections for us as far as we know, so we are going to try to keep costs down as much as possible until then. We've already canceled several projects, including a new mammography program.

Latest posts

Top Bottom