Mezcal Connoisseurs out there??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Are there any Mezcal experts...connoisseurs. .savants..out there??? I know, I know, what a freakin' juxtaposition. ...mezcal and anything related to connoisseur or refinement.

It seems there are a few guys here in OSA who work in the beverage (alcohol) industry. Ive recognized a few inside information responses to some alcohol related questions.

Well, here goes.

Is there a nice mezcal out there...not the "tourista" agave worm or scorpion stuff, but quality sipping mezcal. Again, don't laugh when I use quality and mezcal in the same idea.

So, quality mezcal? Not the 21st Century flavored mezcal, but more of a nice traditional, 100% agave, 72-100proof or 36-55%.....quality mezcal?

Throw out a few brand names or distiller/maker brands.

What about ones ONLY available in Mexico, not in the U.S. as of yet?

Post up (if possible) quality, smoky, mezcal available here in the USA and even ones only available in Mexico.

NO DOS GUSANO..OR ANY GUSANO. NO SKORPION/SCORPION BRANDS.

Cheers....

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was concerned about...the lack of quality mezcal. I know mezcal is making a comeback or more like an emergence here in the states. I also know that because of this new emergence more mezcal brands are coming across the border.

There are starting to be bars that serve only tequila amd mezcal...I guess mezcal & tequila bar.

Just curious about the "good" stuff...if possible. Also the brands not available in the US. Guess, I'll have to Google it.

I just had a sneaky suspicion that a few of the OSA folks who frequent this site drink mezcal.

Well maybe, just maybe, they don't want to be associated with that type of hooch!!??

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, as much as I like good smoky scotch, I bet I would like some good quality smoky tequila-like liquor like Mezcal. I know one of the bar/restaurants I patronize, the Iguana Grill, has a lot of selection along those lines. I would start by bellying up at a place like that and talking to one of the bartenders who actually knows his **** and trying some different ones to see what's what. I may just join you. :)

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henschman...sounds like a plan!!! I'm heading "South of the Border" for a few weeks so I was kinda needing some suggestions fairly soon. That's the reason for brands and nonexistant brands here in the states.

I'd like to bring a case or two back...of mezcal.

Now tequila...my numero uno, #1, love it...El Jimador.

Mezcal..I'm not that familiar with....only the rut-gut and tourista stuff. Once in a while I can crawl out of the gutter and appreciate the finer things of life...but mezcal..no idea on "quality" mezcal, if there is such a thing!!!!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooh... El Jimador... that's what the old lady and I use when we make pepper-infused tequila. Good stuff, and not too pricey. We got the idea from Mama Roja, which makes a house pepper-infused tequila out of El Jimador. The Roja Shakers they make with that stuff are the best margaritas I've ever had. Of course we take it to a whole new level and use hotter peppers that we grow.

Hey Cohiba, aren't you a pepper guy? You should try infusing some of that El Jimador Silver. It's easy... Just cut slices of pepper, shove them in the bottle, cap it, and let it sit for 3-4 days. Of course you have to drink some to make room for the pepper... as ignernt would say, GLUG GLUG GLUG!!

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a program on Create channel (one of the edu channels) last weekend about Mezcal. Dude that does "Mexico one plate at a time" or something like that. All that I can remember except that it was interesting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom