Milsurp Starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to have a copy of that book. And I have a large-format scanner...

Personally, if I were to get an AR/M-16ish rifle, I'd want to have steel and wood for it, too. Someday, maybe. I have here, a 1903 Springfield that someone sporterized very nicely long ago and far, far away, and in another universe. I've considered rebuilding it to the 1903 Springfield milspec... And I'd put the National Ordnance action on the sporterized barrel... A good how-to book can be read in reverse, after all. -:blush:
Good man ;)

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up with, and took my first (and so far only) deer with a 1903 Springfield dad sporterized in 5he early 60's. Named Betsy, of course. :) Personally I prefer them milspec, but YMMV. I'd like to shoot in the milsurp category at the local range. Tried it with a Mosin but was having troubles. Think I'd do better with the Springfield. I've built an 03A3 Frankenfield, but... ;) If I were a rich man...I'd collect 1903xx rifles. But I'm not rich and unlikely to become so at this late date. So I have one real but sporterized 03, and the NO fake. Bought the action & milsurp barrel relatively cheap, and added surplus & replica parts to it. Hasn't been smoke tested. Nor headspace checked... Someday!

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up with, and took my first (and so far only) deer with a 1903 Springfield dad sporterized in 5he early 60's. Named Betsy, of course. :) Personally I prefer them milspec, but YMMV. I'd like to shoot in the milsurp category at the local range. Tried it with a Mosin but was having troubles. Think I'd do better with the Springfield. I've built an 03A3 Frankenfield, but... ;) If I were a rich man...I'd collect 1903xx rifles. But I'm not rich and unlikely to become so at this late date. So I have one real but sporterized 03, and the NO fake. Bought the action & milsurp barrel relatively cheap, and added surplus & replica parts to it. Hasn't been smoke tested. Nor headspace checked... Someday!
1903’s & 1917’s 👍

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of these small books I inherited from my Grampa along with the rifles he converted.
I grew up watching him work on them and helped get in the way at times. Tbh I have no clue what they are. I know there’s at least 5 different Mausers. He said he bought them for dirt cheap when they had barrels full. Whatever that means. I may have to break them out one of these days so you old folks can educate me on them.😂😩🙄

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody start a ‘Sporterized milsurp’ thread in the milsurp section. It will force me to get my 1917 Enfield out and maybe even shoot it!
Mentioned I had one with no love. Did I not mention mother of pearl inlayed Bishop stock, rechambered to .300 Savage from a 7.7 Jap?

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember as a kid going with my dad to Kmart to look at the Mausers. They were 15-20 bucks. He had a jap 6.5 and 7.7. He cut down the barrel on the 7.7 as the barrel was shot out and the chrome lining was flaking off. He put the action in a sporter stock but never finished it. He was going to rechamber to 257 Roberts. Per P. O. Ackley they were a strong action.

Latest posts

Top Bottom