Milt Sparks Versa Max II?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've heard many many many great things about this holster for 1911's. Anyone own one that could give me their opinion on them, particularly with the kydex clips and a tucked shirt? Also, do any of the retailers tend to get them in very frequently at all? I kind of figured as popular as the 1911 platform is, Milt Sparks would be pumping bulk batches of these out. I just don't know how good I would feel about weighting for many months for one, but I don't want to pay gouger prices on fleabay/gunbroker.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Own several and they are the best holster platform I've tried. I don't carry tucked though. They take longer than most holsters because they are quality. Generally, I've found that the higher quality the holster the longer the wait. FWIW, 6 months is nothing, and it's kind of hard to "pump out" something that is built by hand. :D I usually browse the forums for used MS VM2s and I've ordered a few from them too. If you are too impatient then try KD holsters.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've heard many many many great things about this holster for 1911's. Anyone own one that could give me their opinion on them, particularly with the kydex clips and a tucked shirt? Also, do any of the retailers tend to get them in very frequently at all? I kind of figured as popular as the 1911 platform is, Milt Sparks would be pumping bulk batches of these out. I just don't know how good I would feel about weighting for many months for one, but I don't want to pay gouger prices on fleabay/gunbroker.

Unless you are willing to wait 22 weeks for your order then you are going to pay a premium for them...
The online vendors haven't even had them in stock for a couple of years now.
They don't crank out mass amounts of them because they are only a small 4-5 man shop.
The best option for one is to scour the classifieds of all the gunboards, and then when you see one..GRAB IT NOW! They usually only stay listed for about an hour or two.
IMO, they are one of the best IWB holsters you'll ever own.
I used them until I started wearing my gun at the 2:00 position at which point I switched to the K&D Maverick Defender because of the adjustable cant option.
Now let me mention.....K&D is damn good stuff in it's own rite!
(plus they are an OSA sponsor)
Definitely give them a good look.

As far as the kydex clips are concerned with the VM2, I didn't care too much for them. I mean, they work, but I think there are much better options out there for 'shirt tucker' holsters. In fact, I like some of the K&D stuff with tuckable options better than the VM2.
The VM2 kydex clips just hook onto your pants and then the belt goes over them...the K&D stuff uses clips that hook directly onto your belt (in various types) in the same manner that the Comp-tac stuff does.
I like the VM2, just not for tucking.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are willing to wait 22 weeks for your order then you are going to pay a premium for them...
The online vendors haven't even had them in stock for a couple of years now.
They don't crank out mass amounts of them because they are only a small 4-5 man shop.
The best option for one is to scour the classifieds of all the gunboards, and then when you see one..GRAB IT NOW! They usually only stay listed for about an hour or two.
IMO, they are one of the best IWB holsters you'll ever own.
I used them until I started wearing my gun at the 2:00 position at which point I switched to the K&D Maverick Defender because of the adjustable cant option.
Now let me mention.....K&D is damn good stuff in it's own rite!
(plus they are an OSA sponsor)
Definitely give them a good look.

As far as the kydex clips are concerned with the VM2, I didn't care too much for them. I mean, they work, but I think there are much better options out there for 'shirt tucker' holsters. In fact, I like some of the K&D stuff with tuckable options better than the VM2.
The VM2 kydex clips just hook onto your pants and then the belt goes over them...the K&D stuff uses clips that hook directly onto your belt (in various types) in the same manner that the Comp-tac stuff does.
I like the VM2, just not for tucking.

Well, maybe I'll have to put two holsters on my list for Christmas then! Seriously though, I've yet to hear a bad thing about the VM2 when it comes to untucked. While I love the simplicity of my Don Hume IWB, it definitely leaves somthing to be desired when it comes to comfort on those days of 6+ hours of carry, and honestly, I'd like something that helps to keep the butt of the pistol tucked in a bit tighter to my waste, which I imagine having more holster at my thigh would help do. I have to make sure my shirts are plenty loose to conceal with the my current holster, and while this generally isn't a problem, yeah, it's just time to try something else.

As far as K&D holsters, what do they have that's just awesome for tucked with a 5" 1911? I guess I should also mention that this is a ParaOrd Big Hawg, so it's a wee bit wider than most 1911's with grips of the normal thickness.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'd probably be interested in either the Dakota or Thunderbird Defenders.
Here ya go:
http://kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.php
They come with either standard leather loops (like the VM2) or your option of Kydex clips...or both.

The model I use is the Maverick Defender which can be worn either IWB or OWB and has adjustable cant.
I no longer see it on their website as a standard product, but I see it listed under the "custom order" stuff.:scratch:

Kevin at K&D really does make some first rate stuff....I mean, I switched to K&D from using a VM2 so that's gotta' count for something. ;)

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely my favorite holster. I just order one and wait. Got one yesterday. I don't carry tucked but did order a tuckable holster that is almost as comfortable as the VMII (for while I was waiting) It is the Crossbreed Supertuck. I tried it tucked under a T-shirt and was surprised at how well it worked - and that was with a full sized SIG P220. Got it FAST!

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thunderbird Defender:
(OWB or IWB....and notice how the clips are also available with denim covering to blend in with your belt loops)
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Dakota Defender:
[Broken External Image]

Maverick Defender:
[Broken External Image]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What do you carry in the Maverick JP?

As far as the thread, there was one that sold here just the other day in the classifieds, but I missed it. It was for a Glock though.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tup Gun Supply is a dealer and has them from time to time. They are generally out of stock but they have an email notification feature. I used it when I wanted a Sig holster. I got the notification less than a week after I signed up. Ordered the holster a few minutes after getting the email, a few hours later they were out of stock (their sight has live time inventory). Good luck.

edit: I am talking standard black cowhide.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as K&D holsters, what do they have that's just awesome for tucked with a 5" 1911? I guess I should also mention that this is a ParaOrd Big Hawg, so it's a wee bit wider than most 1911's with grips of the normal thickness.

My Dakota Defender for a full-size 1911:

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3201_2679872241_8752c9a63f.jpg

It is a very nice holster, and conceals well, provided you dress around it just a tad. This is less the holster's fault, and more the size of a 5" 1911. The holster's ride is very adjustable. I'm not crazy about tucking it though, as to get a good tuck I have to set the clips to ride a bit lower than I like for drawing. But...I also have it riding almost as high as it possible can, because I'm extremely low/no waisted. If you're OK with having the pistol ride semi-low on your hip, it would work pretty well (though I don't know what you'd wear to cover up that big honking Paraframe :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom