More power needed for Tahoe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no chip for any GM gas vehicles 96 and newer. You have to reprogram the PCM in the vehicle through thr ALDL plug under the dash. K&N cold air kits on GM trucks and SUVs are really hot air kits. With the open element cone filter and poor sealing you just suck in hot under hood air. I've seen intake air temps on trucks and SUVs with K&N cold air kits reach 155 degrees on 90-100 degree days. The stock tune starts pulling timing out of the tune when intake air temps reach 86 degrees. When they are 140 degrees they are pulling 10 degrees of timing out of the tune killing a lot of power. If you want a better than stock air intake system, look for something like a Volant with a sealed air box that draws air from cooler outside air. Stay away from hand held tuners like Hypertech, Diablo Preditors, and Superchips. They are all extremely overpriced for the little they do on gas vehicles. Without substantial mods like headers/exhaust, a cam, gears, you are not going to see much gains for towing. A custom tune would help some.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Listen to 4play and gl55, k&n kit are not improvements over factory, most or all late model vehicles have optimal cold air intakes and really can't be improved on, the only real improvements you can make is in the heads or rear ends (port and polish, cam change, gear ratio upgrade, etc) unless you want to add forced air induction, all of the above are not cheap...

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I share the same misfortune.... having a 5.3 turd.

There are several routes.. you can get an intake, PCM upgrade (blackbear is who I would choose), and It may make it feel a bit better...

Or just do gears and you'll definitely feel the difference.

When I finally get the funds, I will be doing gears.. no question. Other stuff could come later if you are still unsatisfied.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could always trade it in on a Ford. My 5.4 Expedition has 294,000 miles on original engine and tranny and still tows a 28' travel trailer 65mph all day.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 5.3L isn't a great towing motor, not much you can do to make it significantly better. Best to just slow down and live with it, or trade into something else.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You could always trade it in on a Ford. My 5.4 Expedition has 294,000 miles on original engine and tranny and still tows a 28' travel trailer 65mph all day.

i'm a chevy guy and it pains me to say this buuut, fords do pull better. there i said it. waiting for the chevy god lightning bolt......

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a Spectre intake on mine and I doubt it added any real HP but it sure had a much better response at lower RPM. Sent my PCM to Wheatley and it really woke up the 5.3, not roasting any tires but the drivability is significantly better. Wheatley is great to deal with, he will do any changes you need after you get your initial tune for free.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only once a monthpulling, I'd just slow down and not mod anything. Mods almost always shorten life of vehicle just ask your mechanic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom