More power needed for Tahoe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a 19' travel trailer that I pull with my 2009 5.3L V8 Tahoe. It pulls it fine, but I would like for it to have a little more power while towing. My 1st thought is a K&N cold air intake system. I can get one on Amazon for around $250. According to K&N website, this would increase HP to a little over 10hp. Any better ideas in what I should do?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You won't be able to feel 10hp. I'm not a chevy person but a friend has the same set up as you, and went with a lower geared rear end and it helped, but lost mpg. Buy a diesel:)JK. If you're just pulling it in the flat lands, I wouldn't bother with up grades, just my opinion though.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
twotonevert said:
What about a tuner and chip?

That's one option I was thinking of. Of course I want to keep it on the cheap side. I don't want to change vehicles. Only towing about once a month. Was thinking the K&N because the improved mileage would help with everyday driving.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What about a tuner and chip?

They usually make less than 20 additional hp on a gas engine, whereas a programmer/chip on diesel may add 50-200hp! Other mods have to be made to withstand the addtional extreme hp though, unless you want things to break. Tranny upgrades, air intake mods, exhaust mods or straight exhaust, larger injectors, fuel pumps, larger turbos, head gasket and studs for extreme hp, the sky's the limit for a diesel. Let us know what you go with, I like to make mental notes of things like these. :)

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wont notice much if any at all from a tuner/programmer in a box, k&n or any of those other $50-$500 dollar bolt on gizmos (pulleys, programmer, CAI, Cat back etc) . Most of that that stuff are good supporting mods for things like below.

Custom tune verified on a chassis dyno, Gear ratio change, torque convertor, super charger, cam change, headers. Keep in mind if a custom tune is considered, you will want to have done all the other modifications before. To have more power and better economy usually doesn't go together, and definitely no for cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom