More Primary Fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, too many of us have lost all faith not only in the system, but also in the ability to effect meaningful change.

The system is broken. Possibly beyond repair. Certainly with the current crop of entitlement-favoring Americans reproducing at an alarming rate.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get involved, they say. . .

Several years ago (5-6) I started getting involved. Started attending all the county party meetings. Held an office in the county party, ran for public office, served on various boards. Side note: when I ran for office, I actually had a member of the State GOP come have lunch with me, and try to discourage me from running.

You know what has changed? Nothing. I'm not alone in our local party. . .roughly half of regular attendees would be considered Tea Party folks. But the "respected" members of the local party are *firmly* old-boy/status quo/"I'd vote for Obama if he were on the GOP ticket" folks, and the local party bows to the will of the "respected" members. I'm dreading our next meeting because I *know* the convention will be discussed, and the "respected" members are gonna *blast* the Ron Paul supporters, and tell us how fortunate we are to have a slate of Romney delegates.

Each year, the counties have their own convention, and part of that process is to send a small handful (10-ish) of resolutions to the state for consideration at the state convention. I've never seen one of our resolutions show up on the state convention list. I'd be interested to see if *any* non-metropolitan county has had a resolution show up at the state convention.

*If* you live in OKC/Tulsa, and *if* you get involved enough, you might have a shot at making a difference. Unfortunately, those two areas of the state are locked down. . .and being "involved enough" means being independently wealthy so you can attend all the get-together-to-tell-each-other-how-important-we-are functions.

Am I bitter? Disillusioned may be the better term. I'm still very active, but now I do it out of a sense of duty, not because I think I can make a difference.

All that being said. . .I think we saw a difference made last week with the Open Carry stuff. I am not at all convinced that bill would have showed up on the floor without the pressure that was applied to both the House and the Senate.

One *very* good thing Ron Paul has done. . .whether you like him, his polices, or his supporters or not. . .is to get younger people involved. I see more Ron Paul stuff around university campuses than I do anywhere else.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that's the thing with the "Paul-bots"; they're mostly young, and engaged. Hey GOP.....what do you think the future looks like?

Keep ignoring the rising numbers of people that are Conservative, yet don't identifiy with the same-old-same the GOP is putting out. The Grand Old Party will either change and accept this, or die and be replaced. Either is a quality option, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, Jack T. - the system is broken beyond repair. Kudos to you for trying, though.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that's the thing with the "Paul-bots"; they're mostly young, and engaged. Hey GOP.....what do you think the future looks like?

Keep ignoring the rising numbers of people that are Conservative, yet don't identifiy with the same-old-same the GOP is putting out. The Grand Old Party will either change and accept this, or die and be replaced. Either is a quality option, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, Jack T. - the system is broken beyond repair. Kudos to you for trying, though.

And this is the reason I am no longer a Republican, despite having been one for years. Somewhere in the 90's (maybe in the zeal to "get" Clinton or maybe the rise of radio hosts), the GOP became mean spirited and unreasonable. The religious extremists co-opted the party to push their agenda (often in direct contradiction to the Constitution and the party sold the other part of its soul completely to big business.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling-1e309e.jpg
    fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling-1e309e.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 53

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the same kind of thing RP supporters have been doing for years, and one of the biggest reasons I and many others can not get behind him. I have seen this kind of crap to many times in the past.

Bingo!!!! I have been saying this for years. You want change? Get involved and do it right because the only way change will ever come is from the ground up.

Yeah, because that's worked so well up to this point! :rolleyes2

The seed has been planted many times over. The GOP "establishment" refuses to water it. They actively discourage any growth that doesn't line their pockets or add to their power base. If they don't wake up to the reality that's been slapping them in the face, they'll wind up just like the whig party. The fissure within the party is deep, and starting to widen. :(

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the same kind of thing RP supporters have been doing for years, and one of the biggest reasons I and many others can not get behind him. I have seen this kind of crap to many times in the past.

If you want to change the way Ron Paul supporters are viewed, get involved and do it right because the only way change will ever come is from the ground up.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get involved and change the party from the ground up, you say? You mean like showing up to conventions and trying to get good people elected? Don't worry... We aren't going anywhere. There were more of us this year than 4 years ago. And more of us will keep showing up every year. In 4 more years, we will be running the show.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to change the way Ron Paul supporters are viewed, get involved and do it right because the only way change will ever come is from the ground up.

To do that, I would have to agree with more then half of RPs ideas, and I do not. The only things I agree with him on are economics, most of the rest I think he is totally misguided.

I will keep supporting true conservatives within the GOP and without, in OK and in other states, until either the GOP wakes up or is replaced. So far this year Dick Lugar is out and Orrin Hatch is in deep trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom